Saturday, August 12, 2017

What Do I Do Now?

I don't normally talk about politics or even current events because everything in our society is so divisive. But tonight my heart is heavy I have to talk about it. The events in Charlottesville this weekend have been heartbreaking to say the least. I keep checking Twitter for the latest updates and in hopes that someone will say something that really makes a difference. I keep hoping for something more than words, some action that we can take to fix these broken hearts and misguided theologies.

But Twitter doesn't have solutions. It is ultimately 140 characters that are now known for their gentility and peacemaking.

I keep checking anyway because I don't know how to fix this. There is a law that we can pass to change people's hearts. There are certainly laws that can protect others better, but how do we get laws that are useful for our whole society passed with our current government atmosphere? And how long will those laws take to pass?

It makes me feel so helpless. I don't want to be accused of doing nothing. I don't want to be silent and assent to the extremist views.

So what do I do now?

I have a few ideas. I don't know if it is enough though. Today I wore this shirt and I mean it. I got a couple compliments.

I make sure to get my daughter books of people that don't look like her. I talk to people around me and I listen. I try to hear them and express what I understand of the other side. I talk about these issues with my students. I listen to both sides. I remember that everyone on both sides of this issue and other issues are human. I try to use my words carefully and wisely. I am trying to be open minded and caring to all.

I'm not sure that it's enough. I don't think that anything I am doing right now will make any immediate differences. And I don't know if anything I am doing will make any long term differences. I know I am a privileged middle class white woman in the United States. I know I have it easy and I know others don't. There are citizens and people here in the United States that don't feel safe and valued. But even more, there were 24 people killed in rioting in Kenya because of the election results. There are 60 dead in India because the hospitals don't have enough oxygen.

I can't fix these things, but I wish I could. I don't know what to do, but I wish I did. I'm just so sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment