Monday, June 12, 2017

Summer is Here...

Photo Credit: Dawn Ellner
Several people have asked me if I am glad that the school year is over. I answer yes because that is what is expected, but the answer is actually not quite that easy. I am glad that this year with my crazy schedule is over. I'm glad to wrap up some long standing things on my to do list. I'm glad to have some time off. But I'm not glad that summer is starting. I'm not glad that I am going to be home with my kids this summer. And not because of all the "funny meme" reasons you see out there. I don't feel prepared to keep them busy. I don't think I know to fill their summer days with fun and learning. I have ideas of things to practice and places to go, but will I actually do those things? When I don't have a schedule that says first period, second period, etc., can I keep a real schedule? Basically I'm asking, can I be a good mother this summer?

I don't think I can. I don't think I can keep up fun and learning. I'm feeling overwhelmed with an entire summer in front of me. I know how to teach Spanish to high school kids in chunks of 45 minute time or 90 minute time. An entire day with an 8 year old and a 3 year old? I don't know what I'm doing!

Summer is supposed to be this euphoric ideal full of fantastic adventures. That's a lot to live up to. Again, I guess we'll just do today.


No comments:

Post a Comment