Saturday, February 11, 2017

My Way



Recently I have heard this song referred to in two different sermons by two different pastors. Both sermons mentioned this song as a kind of anthem to selfish materialism. I can see why that comparison is made, but I don't think of the song that way. To me when I hear the line, "I did it my way." It is an anthem for rebellion against the societal norm that pushes us away from God. "I stood tall." I stood against the things telling me to bow the world's system. When my way is God's way, then the words become synonymous. I know that isn't what Sinatra meant, but when someone puts their work out in the world the consumers are going to interpret it personally. There is a whole literary theory about it, reader response theory. And yes there is more to Reader Response Theory than just this simple interpretation, but the sentiment fits.

Mentally I recognize that I look at thing differently than the average person. However, in the everyday walking around, I often forget this. So hearing these 2 pastors whom I respect refer to this song in the opposite of my thinking made me realize that I look at things very differently. I genuinely look at the "secular" music, books, art, etc. and interpret it through a filter of my Christianity. I believe the talent that these people are given is from God and they unconsciously bring him into their work from time to time. I believe God is there to be found in these things even if he isn't "supposed" to be there. Not everything, not every piece, but sometimes.

I thought you might enjoy my observation for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment