Friday, July 31, 2015

What the Doctor Said

I got a phone call from the lab tech at the doctor's office yesterday. It terrified me. I could let you guess why, but you probably wouldn't guess the what he said.

Photo caption: Eva Blue

My cholesterol is too high.

A part of me says, "Yeah, whose isn't?" I mean this a common thing that people deal with, so why did it terrify me? I'm not too sure. There is a history of heart disease in my family, so it is always something on my radar. I know I need to watch myself. However, that wasn't the entire issue. The lab tech also said something about a low fat diet. Diet? I can't do a diet. The second someone says you can't eat this, it is the only thing I want to eat. I refuse to go through life hating what I have to eat. Food should be enjoyed and I want to enjoy food as it should be. I don't want artificially enhanced or in some other way changed, like low fat chocolate or something else ridiculous. And maybe there was a little bit of self reflection that I wasn't ready for. Maybe I'm the unusual one or maybe there are others out there like me, but my emotional state has a drastic effect on my eating even when I don't realize it.

So I did what any self respecting person who needs information does, I googled it. I read a few articles about food that is good for cholesterol and I was encouraged. There are some easy fixes, like oats. I can have oatmeal for breakfast. It would be filling, good for cholesterol and something I don't have to think much about. Avocados, albacore tuna, olive oil, spinach, garlic, and black beans. I like those things too. I was encouraged. I can incorporate a few new recipes and they could make a difference. My husband has been thinking on some new dinner recipes as well. So it isn't just me trying to do this, we can do it.

Those recipes could also help me lose the weight I've been wanting to use. Of course that is a difficult proposition having hypothyroidism. Mine has been relatively well controlled for the last 5 years or so. I would like to think my consistently taking the medicine as it should be taken is a part of that. Even through my pregnancy with my daughter, it was fairly well controlled. I took it before bed because I was throwing up in the morning and my dosage had to be upped, but my numbers still stayed good. However after she was born, it was a different story. Those bleary eyed mornings meant lots of times that I forgot to take my medicine first thing. Like I've forgotten to take it probably once a week for the last 16 months. That's not really great. So I've moved the medicine bottle to my bedside table. So far (2 days), so good. Hopefully taking my medicine regularly will make the changes in diet useful. There is a small part of me that is afraid of a certain number on the scale. I have hit that number twice and had two kids. So it's kind of like a magic baby number, but I'm pretty happy with two babies. There is a much larger part that dreams of a number on the scale that makes me smile instead of shrugging and saying not bad. And maybe just maybe that number on the scale could be paired with food I really love on a regular basis.

I'm sure it doesn't seem like such a hard prospect for several of you out there who have taken your health seriously. But for me, I'm just not sure where to fit this new food into my schedule. Being a teacher is not your regular 9 to 5 job. Not to mention being a mother and wife. Making sure the homework gets done, and making sure each kid gets some mommy time after work, getting the dishes and laundry done, and making sure we get time with the larger family. Those are time consuming. Then you throw in church service, choir, youth leadership,etc. Blogging and reading are just for fun, but also terribly important for my own well being. My time is spoken for in many areas. The thought of adding in prep time for this new 'healthy' diet is overwhelming. I know there will be busy weeks and on those weeks, I wonder if I can find the time to make this new food. I doubt my ability to follow through and then there will be guilt to follow. To follow? I'm already feeling guilty about failing this new diet and I've hardly started. This isn't something I can fail at.

Of course I feel that everything I do is something that I can't fail at. Which leads me to the emotional issues tied to my eating and that will be another post.

Yesterday, I made a quinoa and black bean salad. It took me much longer than I expected because I used dried beans. However, I did and I learned a few things. I know how I can do it better next time. At the very least, I know I can have oatmeal,some black bean recipes, and salad. I am confident that I can get two of those things accomplished on a daily basis. Next week I have another appointment with the doctor. I'm assuming he will talk to me more about the specifics. I hope I'm prepared for that meeting. I will let you know next week.

5 comments:

  1. A few things for your perusal...http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol-fighting-foods/#axzz3hTtpN9n0 Feel free to message me too! I'm not strictly paleo or anything but I do follow a high fat/low carb diet and have for 2 or 3 years now. Just promise me you'll do extra reading before you jump right on the low fat wagon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not jumping on the low fat wagon. So don't worry about that. I'm going to try to choose foods that are naturally low in fat and avoid eating high fat foods too often. Like I had toast with blackberry jam yesterday morning instead of peanut butter toast. I put honey in my oatmeal this morning instead of sugar. I'm going to be strict about the sugar and creamer I put in my coffee. And I'm going to be getting only the coffee I love(Fair Trade Medium Roast Sumatran) so I don't have to cover up the taste of it. I'm going to try to make things more often instead of getting it out of a can. Like making the black beans from dried beans.
      One problem I have had jumping on most any bandwagon is that I love bread and pasta and cheese. Also I don't like peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, nuts, or melons. There are probably a few more veggies I don't like. I probably need to learn to like some of that, but I'm honestly not sure if that will happen. So I'm just going to follow my own plan. :-)
      I will read what you posted. And after some time to think and do a few little things, then I might try some bigger things.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! And I agree, good coffee is non-negotiable! ;)

      Delete
  2. Plus food tastes better with good high-quality fat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, you may've already done this, but I highly recommend soaking your quinoa overnight with raw ACV to make it more digestible to your system too! http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2012/01/basic-quinoa-soaked.html

    ReplyDelete