Friday, April 3, 2015

The Tensions of Today

This morning I find myself with a few extra minutes. I have work today, but my son doesn't have school. So I'm not getting him ready or preparing lunches. So I'm sitting down to write. I have an idea that has been percolating, but I don't think I'm ready to write about it yet. That leaves me with a few random thoughts to throw at you


Photo Credit: Adrian Berg

Today is the end of the quarter and I have one more day to hound students for missing work. Some teachers don't allow late work and some do. There's always a tension between crediting them for doing the work and teaching them responsibility. I think it is a tension that most teachers feel.

Today is the last day before Spring Break. People have asked if we are doing anything special and the answer is no. Mostly because we are both so tired. Careers, choir, youth work, soccer practice, birthdays, holidays, extended family obligations, and raising two kids have left us feeling like we are coming to the end of a long and very tiring marathon. Spring Break for us will hopefully be a time to relax and decompress. It will also be a time to study. I have a test coming up in a couple weeks and study time has been limited. Hopefully Spring Break will provide some study opportunities. There is a tension between helping out and having personal time. I'm not sure that I'm successfully finding a space in that tension.

Today is Good Friday. Some students will not be there today due to religious observances. Some people might be offended that there is school today. I am going to be there and I'm not offended by it. I'm actually thinking there might be the opportunity for some wonderful conversations today. I'm loooking forward to it. If I wasn't working today, I would probably just stay home. I don't have much of an opportunity to share with people why this day is important for me if I'm just at home watching TV. However if I'm at work, I have lots of colleagues to share with. The more people I am around today, the better the chance to share my faith in an authentic way. (And it is totally fine if you do not agree with me.) Today there is a tension between honoring Jesus and sharing Jesus.

So I'm tired, but hopeful and trying to find a comfortable space between the tensions of life. How are you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment