Friday, April 10, 2015

Reading is Life

Social media is amazing for lots of reasons. One of the primary reasons is that it connects us to our favorite things online. One of my favorite things: Reading!

Photo Credit: erin m


I read glanced at an article that was something about falling in love with reading. I looked over the list and could not come up with a book that made me fall in love with reading. I couldn't remember a time that I didn't love reading. I vaguely remember running to my room to pick up as many books as I could carry to bring to my Mamaw to read to me. She sat there for as long as I wanted to read to me. I couldn't even read them yet. I was about 3. She had tons of books at her house too. Her book shelf was the first place I would go. I grew up watching my mom reading. I would even read the cereal box just to have something to read.

Reading has been with me longer than Jesus has been with me.

That was a rather stunning thought to me. I accepted Jesus at 15, so I've been with him for about 20 years. That seems forever, but I do remember my years before Jesus. I don't remember my years before reading and books. I remember Cabbage Patch books were my favorites as a toddler. I then fell in love with the Boxcar Children. Wuthering Heights and Jane Austen were my favorites in junior high and high school. I still have several Cabbage Patch books, a couple Boxcar Children, and a Jane Austen novel as well. My Kindle is full. I have two library cards that are fairly well used. My books shelves are overflowing.

It is safe to say that I love reading.

It is a comfort to me when I'm stressed.
It is a vacation for me when I can't take one.
It is a teacher for my soul.
It introduces me to new friends.
It shows me new ways of living.

Reading is life and it has been for as long as I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment