Wednesday, March 25, 2015

How Not to Write a Title

So it has been two weeks since I wrote anything. I have been so busy! I would love to say that I was busy with some important thing. Honestly, I'm busy teaching and trying to keep the house clean. There is a little bit of homework and soccer practice in there plus extra choir practice for the Easter Cantata.

I have also been wasting time with Netflix because after all of the above stuff, I really don't have the energy to do fun stuff, like reading and blogging. And I've been missing it. I'm in desperate need of time to sit and read. I have been reading some great blogs and thinking why couldn't I do that. The answer is that I haven't been paying attention to the things in my life worth writing about.

So I now have two paragraphs about not having anything to write about. I had probably better give you something useful, hence the title. To be honest, I hate writing titles. I'm not sure how I got college having virtually no experience in writing titles. I had some awesome English teachers who taught me so much about writing, reading, analyzing text, and life. For all that greatness, I didn't learn about writing titles. I'm not saying they didn't teach it because they probably did. I didn't learn it, so I arrived in college and saw everyone titling their papers. I was horrified because I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. And I was an honor student! I couldn't go ask anyone for help. So, I stumbled through as best I could.

Today I'm still stumbling. And these are the common mistakes that I find myself making:

Capitalize the wrong words
Don't capitalize words
Use too many words
Use too few words
Use confusing words
Create a non-descript title
Create a forgettable title.


I would love to tell you how to make it better, but I have no clue. I am open to your suggestions. What can you teach me about writing titles?

No comments:

Post a Comment