Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Top 15 Disney Movies

The last couple weeks I have talked about some of the things I have learned in the last few difficult years. And I might come back to that topic at a later point in time, but today I want to talk about something lighter and more fun. Disney movies!

Photo Credit: Ohdearbarb
I am a bit obsessed with them and I'm super excited that I have a daughter, so I have an excuse to get all the Disney princess movies. I got others with Ben, but I couldn't in good conscience get my son princess movies. He didn't even know they were different people until recently! So now with a little girl, I have invested in some new princess movies and made myself watch a few that I missed. So in honor of my new Disney education and investment, I'm doing a top 15 countdown of my favorite Disney movies. (I couldn't narrow it down further than that.) I'm not including Pixar because that is a whole other list. I'm also not including any sequels. These are just the major motion picture releases. Now on to the countdown!

1. Beauty and the Beast

I love Belle. I love that she reads. I love that she doesn't fit in. I love that her dad is so quirky and ready to go show the world what he knows. I love the Beast. I love that he is working through his issues. I love to hate Gaston! Cogsworth is wonderfully persnickety. Lumiere loves to push Cogsworth's buttons. Madame la Gran Bouche is fabulously open. Ha!

2. Treasure Planet

Some of the creatures speak flatulence! Oh my goodness!! They fly in schooners around the universe looking for treasure and discovering that friends are the best treasure. The personalities! The history mixed with futuristic fantasy.

3. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Image result for bedknobs and broomsticks
This picture just might be my favorite part of the movie. Trachuna Machoitius Trachorum Saetis Dee. Angela Landsbury is in this movie and she is commanding an armor army. They go flying on a bed underneath the sea. It is absolutely fabulous.

4. Mulan

I just watched this movie this week. I don't know how I waited this long to watch this movie. Now I have and it made it to the top 5. She saves China and the emperor honors her. Then she goes home and her parents love her for being her. Oh, I just love this one.

5. Princess and the Frog

You would think a movie about frogs wouldn't be that great, but this one is. Tiana is hard working and determined.

6. Frozen
We all know that the whole world is obsessed with this movie and I am one of them. The music, the sisters, a reindeer, the subtle romance and a funny snowman. What is not to love?


7. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Image result for many adventures of winnie the pooh
The very blustery day, the house for Eyeore, and the first appearance of Tigger are so iconic to me. I don't remember a time when I didn't know those stories. This one really makes me feel like a kid again.

8. Lilo and Stitch
Image result for lilo and stitch
I love this one more as a mother than when it first came out. Ben is head over heels in love with this one, so I am too.

9. Alice in Wonderland
Image result for alice in wonderland disney
The talking flowers, painting the roses red, the Mad Hatter, and the White Rabbit are just too perfect. They are so perfectly fantastical that I still can't wait to visit Wonderland.

10. Hocus Pocus
Image result for hocus pocus
The fact that I just figured out Thackery Binks and Timothy McGee are the same person just make this movie better. It is a beautiful setting and a quaint story. It is a lovely Halloween story with a great performance from Bette Midler!

11. Tangled
Image result for tangled
The hair, the smolder, the lanterns! And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Rapunzel's talents, her frying pan, her way with horses, and The Snuggly Duckling just make this one fun and heartwarming, which are Disney specialties.

12. Mary Poppins
Image result for mary poppins
The songs, the cannons, and a happy family in the end. Oh and Dick Van Dyke!

13. The Princess Diaries
Image result for the princess diaries
It is every little girl's dream and somehow we are happier for Mia than we would be for ourself. And Genovia is on my list of places to visit too.

14. Sleeping Beauty
Image result for sleeping beauty
Dancing with forrest creatures that turn into the prince who is your betrothed and who slays vicious dragon enchhntresses for you is still a great story after all these years. And should you get tired of the story, watch it for the art. It is worth it.

15. Robin Hood
Image result for robin hood disney
Oh what a lovely man-fox. He gives to others out of the goodness of his heart and his love for the community. I think we all could learn from him.

Honorable mention:

My favorite sequel:
D2: The Mighty Ducks
Image result for d2 the mighty ducks the bash brothers
I had such a crush on these two! I saw this movie at least 25 times one school year. Yes that obsessed. I started watching hockey because of this movie. And I think it is better than the first or the third.

My favorite Disney TV show that was based on a movie:
The Legend of Tarzan
Image result for the legend of tarzan
This isn't the movie, but I like the movie because it reminds me of the TV show. It was a great show. The good guys were always good. The bad guys were always bad. And the community was of primary importance.

Almost on the list for the score alone:
The Little Mermaid
Image result for the little mermaid song
I can't say that Ariel is one of my preferred princesses or that Eric is a preferred prince. The story isn't my favorite. But the music! Now that is special.

2 comments:

  1. I could make it an Honorable Mention because it is your favorite. I don't mind it, but it isn't a top 15 for me.

    ReplyDelete