Friday, August 8, 2014

Failure Sucks

 Photo Credit: Dimitris Papazimouris


This week has been a rough one. It wasn't one of those weeks that you expect to be rough. It was one that sneaks up on you. It creeped behind me just out of sight and just out of reach. More than one my husband has asked me if everything is okay this week. I've said that I'm just tired. And I thought that was it. I was just tired.

And last night in the middle of the night I realized that I'm not okay this week. I feel like a failure. Not like I just failed at one thing, but I've failed at multiple things. The failure is quickly followed by guilt. I think of all the people I have let down with my failure. And I start thinking of all the things that should have been and now aren't because of my failure. I start believing that my failure can't be rectified and that the whole course of events on the earth have been changed because of my failures.

Yes that sounds over dramatic, but lets be honest. In our moment of failure when the chains of what could have been are hanging heavily on us, aren't we all over dramatic. There are plenty of cute sayings about the good that failure does in our lives. And we know those words in our heads, but our hearts don't believe a word of it. Our hearts aren't looking for optimism. Our hearts are hurting because we found out that we are not the person that we thought we were. We didn't live up to a standard that was set before us. Often it was a standard that we set up for ourselves.

So here I am at the end of the week. I am not okay. I feel sad. Several things didn't go the way that I had planned on them going. To me that feels like failure, but maybe it isn't. Maybe it is God reminding me that it isn't about me or my plan. It's about Him and His plan. So today I'm going to take some time and look at all the things are going right. I'm going to give myself some grace and I'm going to attack some things with renewed vigor.

I might be a little down, but I'm not out.


2 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I know what you mean. I would love to meet one person who's life did end up like they'd hoped it would. But, can I just say that this is not all up to us? It's not! What is failure anyway? It means that you tried something! Plus, I think we are listening to too many people who are telling us what our lives should look like, instead of listening to the One who knows what He wants for us. You are not a failure. Just start there. You cannot be a failure because you are in Him. I love you. I am praying for you today. Soak in His love and in HIS ability to work in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that comment. There are many wise and comforting words in it. I really appreciate them and the prayers. I feel better this evening. So your prayers have been working. :)

    ReplyDelete