Friday, April 25, 2014

Meeting the Tooth Fairy

I want to write something, but I have gotten out of the habit of capturing ideas and pondering them until they form words. So I think about what has been happening in my life recently and there is nothing extraordinary. It is just daily living.

I have gotten into a habit of taking a photo a day and posting it on Instagram. I've grown quite fond of Instagram. Even though my photos are not award winning and mostly of my kids, I take them anyway. As I look back though, I find that they are better than I thought they were. So maybe my writing is that way too. In that spirit I'm  going to tell a story from yesterday just to tell a story. There's no deeper meaning or bigger context.

Having 2 kids had helped me be a better mother to the one I already had. When the baby is asleep, I seek out the 5 year old and we play. It had been so great to connect with him in a while new way. However when the baby is awake, things are not so wonderful. I find myself saying 'no' and 'don't touch her' a lot I also .find myself feeling guilty a lot. So when he goes off to play by himself while I am trying to put her to sleep, I rejoice. I don't worry about what he is doing or the mess he could making.

Yesterday, I should have worried.

I can't even remember how I knew there was a problem. I don't know if he yelled out or if I heard him crying. Either way I headed to the back of the house skeptical
about the severity his need. I got you the bathroom and he said, "I broke my tooth." I went immediately into panic mode and my brain cleared of any rational thought. I yelled for my husband as I got a wet washcloth to help stop the blood. We both questioned him about where he was and what he was doing. Eventually we ascertained that he was in his room and attempted to open a Play-Doh container with his teeth while he was ironically playing with the Play-Doh dentist set he got for his birthday.

Drew went to go find the tooth while I tried to keep him calm. After finding the tooth, the possibility of him losing his first tooth crossed my mind, but I dismissed it. We called the dentist to make an appointment. Then tried to figure out where we were going to get the money to pay for the visit. We also called Nana because anytime something goes wrong we call her. She has an amazing ability to stay calm and figure out what to do next. We went to her house and she looked at the tooth. She thought it was his first lost tooth. She also talked to him about the tooth fairy and good dental hygiene. V (See isn't she amazing.)

We canceled the emergency appointment and scheduled a regular visit in a week or so. We also managed to convince him that the tooth did not need to go back in his mouth. And after a little more time, I even got a good picture.

The Tooth Fairy did visit last night. She got his baby tooth and checked to see that he had been brushing his teeth and driving his milk. He passed the test and got a Hot Wheels car in return.

I was not prepared to meet the Tooth Fairy quite so soon. All these parenting milestones just keep sneaking up on me. I keep hoping I will get better at being prepared for them. Maybe the second time around I will be. Until then, I will keep depending on my husband, my parents, and in-laws. I'm so glad that I'm not doing this alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment