Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Labor Story

Warning: This will be an honest account of my labor and delivery experiences. If you don't want to know what goes on or might be freaked out, then don't keep reading.



I suppose God had popense of humor. Just about every time in my life when I told him thatdn't want to do something, He called me to that very thing. My labor and delivery have been no exception.

Everything I didn't want to happen did.  I didn't want an episiotomy, but I got one. I didn't want to tear, but I did. I didn't want an epidural, but I asked for one. I didn't want to poop on the nurse or doctor, but I did. I didn't want to pee all over the place, but I did. I didn't want back labor, but I got it.

I have long said that I don't remember the pain of giving birth. That is true. I can't but sit here and describe it for you. I remember pushing with my first child, but the pain of contractions is a void. I do remember a smidge of pain when I was getting sewn back up after my episiotomy. I think the local anesthetic was wearing off. I was in active labor for 4 hours after they broke my water and pushed for 45 minutes. most women who hear that are jealous. I had a Bible verse and a name of God to call on. Those ran through my head during the whole experience. I will freely admit that I had it easy the first time around.

The second time around was a different story. My water was broken again. This time my membranes were stripped. I did have contractions come at regular intervals. Labor started in front and then for some reason it moved to my back. That is when the pain began. My husband was right by my side again. This time applying pressure to my back to help me through the contractions. And I could not have done it without him. With his help I thought I was doing okay, then the pain moved lower and it wasn't going away. Now I know that's because it was almost time to push. Then I didn't know that.  I just knew that I couldn't keep doing this.

So I asked for an epidural. The nurse told me it might take up to half an hour. That sounded awful, but at least I had an amount of time. She left to get it ready and then suddenly I had to poop. So my mom called the nurse who basically got there in time to wipe me up. The doctor came in and suited up between my pushes. Somewhere around this time the pain had me whimpering and then screaming. The nurse thankfully was tough and told me to hold my breath and push. After a couple pushes the doctor said her head was coming through and asked if I wanted to touch it. I'm pretty sure I screamed something like, "I don't want to move." A couple pushes later she was all but out. The doctor asked if I wanted to pull her the rest of the way out. I did and that was one of the most memorable experiences in my life. I pulled her feet out and laid her on my chest. It was a bit weird to feel her umbilical cord still attached.  But she was here and the pain and pushing was fine. My mom got to cut her cord. My husband has belly button issues, so the cord is way out of his comfort zone.

A little over two weeks later I am sitting in the rocking chair with her asleep in my arms. I can not remember our describe for you the intensity of the pain. I remember the whimpering, the screaming, my husband's elbow in my back, but the actual pain memory is gone. Another thing that does remain is knowing that spiritually I was not prepared for this labor.

With Ben, I had verses and prayers prepared to get me through. This time I didn't. I thought I could handle it because I had done it before. I didn't bother asking God into the experience until I was in lots of pain. This time around labor was much harder and there are any number of reasons for that to be true. In my heart, I know I wasn't as spiritually prepared for this one. I am in no way insisting anything about either one of my children because it really doesn't have much to do with them. It is a story about how my spiritual life affected my physical body.

So when you go through some physically trying experience, invite God into it. It will work out much better that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment