Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Purity Rallies Worked For Me

There seems to be a trend amongst bloggers, especially those that blog about faith. This trend is to disparage purity rallies. Maybe it isn't a big trend. Maybe it
is just in the few blogs I read.  So maybe I'm overstating the case and maybe not. I do know that I haven't read or heard many good things about them. So today I'm going to do something about that.

I attended two purity rallies as a teen. I remember some music and there was probably some preaching, but nothing that has stayed with me almost 20 years later. And I remember the commitment card. I don't remember feeling pressured into signing anything our promising anything. I don't remember feeling singled out or uncomfortable about any part of it.

What I do remember is feeling accepted. I remember feeling confirmation that I was okay and that my thoughts and opinions were okay. The type of guy I was waiting for thought the same thing and if he didn't, then I didn't need him. I remember those rallies making me feel better about the commitment I so desperately wanted to make, but was unsure of how to go about it. Those rallies made me feel like I was in the right track and that I could reach my goal.

Today I see so many kids selling themselves cheap to whomever will look their way. Sometimes it is a boyfriend or girlfriend. Sometimes it is the number of likes on Instagram or followers on Twitter. Society had told them they will find acceptance, love, and a general okayness in all these other things.  Where are the people that tell them they that they are already loved and accepted and good enough? Where are the people that tell them discovering who they are and living that out is what makes turn special and how they find happiness. Maybe purity rallies aren't the only answer and maybe they aren't the answer for everyone. But for some people they work and at least it is one voice in a sea of lies that speaks the truth. It is a place where they can see other kids their she and know they aren't they only one thinking, wondering, or wishing to make that commitment to their happiness and their future before making a commitment to the whims of a fickle society.

2 comments:

  1. I made a pledge too. And i stayed pure. There is no shame in that and I dont understand why anyone would disparage them. I like your perspective - it's knowing that you're not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Some people have said that they put undue pressure or guilt on those who haven't stayed pure or don't stay pure afterwards. Be that as it may, I'm not sure that disparaging them is helpful because then it creates guilt among those who did make that commitment. We each have or own story and God can use them all. Guilt doesn't need to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete