Monday, January 6, 2014

One Word 2014: Rest

Looking back at how 2013 went I see how much rest God was forcing into my life. So I'm going with it and that's my word for 2014. (More about the one word movement here.)

I want to focus on putting my time and energy where it matters and letting go of things that don't matter so much. I don't have to do everything that comes my way. Just because someone asks me to do something doesn't mean I have to say yes. It's okay to say no. It's okay to not have enough time. It's okay to sit back and do nothing sometimes. Yes the house gets dirty and dishes pile up, but sometimes sitting to watch a movie with my family is more important than picking up all that. I don't have to do every chore that needs to be done in at one time. I can do a little and take a break. I can work little by little and get it all done. So I'm going to rest.

'psalm 23' photo (c) 2009, khrawlings - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
Psalm 23
The Lord is my sheperd, I lack nothing.
He makes me like down in green pastures,
he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

However, I've managed to commit myself to no less than 4 things this month. 1. A photo a day project. 2. Write 500 words a day for 31 days. 3. A dinner party here at our house. 4. A church Bible study. However, if I don't complete them, it's okay. So maybe I still need to work on what rest means, but maybe I'm on the right track. I suppose we'll see where this word takes me.

4 comments:

  1. A great word for 2014, Andrea! Especially with al you have going on. Rest is so foreign to us in this world. Blessings as you seek to let it guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! It hasn't been easy searching for a balance that is comfortable, but I suppose that is what this year is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a process to be sure, living out an idea or concept or One Word. The trick is to remember that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And after 33 years, I think I'm finally becoming okay with the idea of a process. At least today I am. :)

    ReplyDelete