Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Giving them what they want

It came! It came! It finally came! Snow!!



Yes I am aware that my friends and readers in the Midwest and further north are probably not excited about snow. And you might even be a little angry that I am. I understand that and do NOT want your 15 inches and negative temps. You can keep those.

And in no way am I minimizing what our neighboring states and counties are going through. You guys are in my prayers.

I just wanted enough snow to play in and we got that. It wasn't fun being rerouted on the way home yesterday because of an accident and I'm not going to enjoy going to school on Saturday to make up this snow day. But nothing is perfect.

What was perfect was arriving home to see Ben and Drew running around the front yard throwing snow balls at each other and me as soon as I got out of the car. Ben has been dying for some snow. There have been a couple days that we had flurries. He was so excited he grabbed my hat and scarf and was ready to run outside in his pajamas and sock feet. He couldn't wait to go play in the snow. So that day we bundled up and went outside and caught a flake or two. That was about all the play he got. This time around though the snow stuck to the ground and he could really play in it.

As parents we want to give our children what they ask for, especially when it is a vital childhood experience like playing in the snow. I was getting concerned that we wouldn't have any this year. I didn't want to his disappointed face as flowers started to bloom and he realized winter was gone without any snow. I don't have to worry about that because we can look at the pictures and videos we made. We can talk about the experience and relive what it was like to play in the snow.

We can't always give our children what they want because that wouldn't be healthy for them or society. However, sometimes we get the privilege of  giving them what they want and it is a very good thing.


3 comments:

  1. What a fun day! But, school on Saturday?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't build snow days into the calendar and we don't have any teacher workdays or holidays coming up. So we will most likely have to make them up on Saturday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: No Saturday school! They built in an extra 5 days to the school calendar. Yay!

    ReplyDelete