Monday, January 13, 2014

2014 Book Preview



I recently wrapped up my favorite books from 2013. I thought it might be fun to tell you what I'm looking forward to in 2014.

River Deep and Soul of Storm by Erin Keyser Horn
DUH! I don't really need to say more.
And there are a few others besides Erin's books that I'm looking forward to reading. So here are a few others.

From my bookshelves:

Introverts in Church by Adam S. McHugh Being an introvert and having been to many different churches in my life. I'm looking forward to seeing what this can teach me.

The Slaves Have Names by Andi Cuombo-Floyd I am intrigued by reading about the 'unknowns' that have lived on this property. The everyday stories of people living their everyday lives does make a difference. I hope this proves my theory.

Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World by Michael Hyatt As I am dedicating myself to this blog again and to writing more, this seems like a pretty important book to read. I just hope it doesn't stress me out too much.

A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett A long time ago, I read Where is Joe Merchant? and it was awesome. I have high hopes for this one too.

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis I know this is a classic and I'm kicking myself that I haven't read it yet. This year I plan to fix that.

Gringos in Paradise: An American Couple Builds Their Retirement Dream House in a Seaside Village in Mexico by Barry Golson I started this one and lost steam awhile back. The setting was cool and the characters/people were realistic. I think I just got tired of the memoir in a different country. So I'm ready to start again.

From my Kindle: (I have lots more than these on there. I probably should want to read more than 3.)

Firefly beach by Meira Pentermann I'm a sucker for someone uncovering a mystery tied to the past. The fact that this one is in Maine (one of my favorite settings) and involves a hiddne beach makes me excited to read it.

Finding Poe by Leigh M. Lane Yes another uncovering a mystery tied to the past. This one involves Edgar Allen Poe and a lighthouse.

Henrietta Street by J.D. Oswald  Two of these people are real people and is told from 4 different voices. Artists and abolitionists and London. Yep, this looks good.

From Goodreads:

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard I don't know much about James Garfield, but the madness, murder, and medicine make me want to learn.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot A woman who's cells helped with in vitro fertilization, cancer, and polio as well as advancing cloning, gene mapping and understanding the atom bomb. I want to know more about that.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman Everyone is raving about this book, so that helps. I like the books about rediscovering your past when you are an adult and seeing it a little differently than you saw it then.

A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet: Southern Stories of Faith, Family, and Fifteen Pounds of Bacon by Sophie Hudson I'm new to the memoir/food book genre. Maybe this one doesn't fit into that category. But as a woman who finds myself living in the South and becoming a little bit more Southern every day, I want to see what this one can teach me.

Asylum by Madeleine Roux This one seems similar to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, except a little older. I want to read it even though I know it is one of a series that hasn't all come out yet. I really don't like having to wait because in the waiting time, I care less about getting the next one. (Consequently, #2 for Miss Peregrine as well as Amber House are not on this list. Maybe I'll get excited later.)

My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story (With Recipes) by Luisa Weiss Another memoir/food book. I don't plan on making any of the recipes just like I didn't with Bread and Wine. However I enjoyed that book and figure I might enjoy this one too. Besides learning about German food will be cool.

Theology in Aisle Seven: The Uncommon Grace of Everyday Spirituality by Carolyn Arends I'm wanting to capture the magic of everyday better. So I think ths one will do quite nicely.

Life After Art: What You Forgot About Life and Faith Since You Left the Art Room by Matt Appling Another one that seems like it will help refocus on the magic of everyday as well as help me see the connection between my creativity and my spirituality a little better.

The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James  Discovering a mystery about the past and a vengeful ghost. It sounds promising.

Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan A bookstore that is more than just a bookstore. That always makes for an intriguing setting.

Author to rediscover:

Carol Goodman I read the first two or three of her books and loved them. They are about discovering the truth of the past. They are a little dark and always involve some fabulously beautiful creative venture. Somehow I lost track of her books. Now I see in the intervening years I have missed 4 books. So I have a little catching up to do.

Finish:

The Charter by Gillian E. Hamer A book about rediscovering the distant past that still impacts her present life. It sat on my Kindle shelf for too long. I'm enjoying it. Now I could find the time to read more than a few pages at a time I would be happy.

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley A friend recommended this one and I loved it, but it was overdue at the library. So I returned it. Now to get back to the library, pay my fine and finish the book.

Possible rereads:

The Bread of Angels: A Memoir of Love and Faith by by Stephanie Saldana I had read some not so great reviews of this book, but I really loved it. I loved the way she explained the other religions she encountered and how she found her own faith which led her to love. I feel like there is still so much to educate my own faith here. So I might come back to this one.

The Gift of an Ordinary Day: A Mother's Memoir by Katrina Kenison The stories she tells and the life she is living is further along than where I currently am. However, I found this book to give me peace with the process of getting there. It helped me gain a bigger perspective than just 'my toddler is driving me nuts today.' I saw how he will grow up, so take advantage of what you had and take hope in what is to come. With a little one to be born soon, I think this might be a good book to revisit.

2 comments:

  1. Great list, Andrea. I just finished reading The Noticer Returns by Andy Andrews yesterday, and I'm looking forward to my next read. I need to decide between a couple of hardcover books on my nightstand and a few eBooks people have sent me to review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deciding on my next read is so hard. It generally takes me a day or more to decide between 2 or 3 books!

    ReplyDelete