Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Silence and Light for Christmas

So you may have noticed last week I was a bit cynical. Sorry for that, but I had to be honest. In the days since then I have been trying to work out how I can not be so cynical. I have been trying to listen extra hard to what might be trying to tell me. After a couple church services and Bible Study last night, I think I'm getting somewhere. So I thought I would share that with you. I don't really want to leave this space on a sour note.

I'm sitting here Christmas morning before my husband and son wake up listening to Christmas hymns and enjoying the light from the Christmas tree.

That's really my living room right now.

I find myself thinking about light and silence and me. As a culture we may have misconstrued Christmas and I have been a part of it. I still am because I'm sitting here trying not to worry about our 'okay enough' gifts that we have to give. I'm worrying that they are horrible gifts that no one will really want and I really hold no hope that they will genuinely enjoy said gifts. I genuinely try to think of something that the person will enjoy and that fits their personality. I try and yet I worry about it every year. I'm tired of worrying about it, so I'm going to stop thinking about it because Christmas starts first in my heart and in myself.

When I think back to the first Christmas, I'm impressed with the silence. The silence of the night broken by the cries of mother and babe. The silence of the shepherds in the field broken by the chorus of angels. And while they weren't actually there at the moment of birth, the silence of the Magi, of Anna, and of Simeon all broken by worship of the King. There was silence that night until God broke the silence with the birth of his Son. So I need to find silence. Not the noise of crowds and shopping, but silence. Not the noise of one too many Christmas parties, but silence. Not the noise from my head doubting, but silence. Not the noise of trying to make too many people happy, but silence. 

I need to find silence this Christmas season and let God break through that silence. 

And when he does break through that silence, He brings with Him light. He is light and He plants that light inside us to show to others. When we shine His light through us, then the reality of Christmas is brought into that space as well. 

There are many wonderful things about Christmas. There are even family traditions that I enjoy. However, Christmas means more than these traditions and more than the song lyrics. Christmas is about the Incarnation of Christ. God coming to live with us in the form of a baby that grew up to be a man who experienced what we have here and sacrificed himself to make sure we can experience what He has there. 

So I'm going to take a few minutes and enjoy some silence.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's far easier to let the cynicism rule the season. Good for you for slowing down and taking some time to let the light break through. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for commenting. It's always good to know that my words aren't just floating out into space. :) And thank you for the encouragement. I'm till not quite sure why cynicism is rearing its ugly head so strongly this year, but I won't let it win!

      Delete
  2. I don't think you were being cynical in your previous post -- you were simply looking for the proper "center" of Christmas again. And the silence is a good place to find it.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It 's so easy to feel like any questions that come up must be negative. I'm glad it didn't sound that way and I didn't really mean it that way either.

    And Merry Christmas to you as well!

    ReplyDelete