Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Simple Summer

So many people have grand summer plans of trips and camps and what not. Normally, I feel bad about not having these fantabulous plans to share. I feel like I'm missing out on 'what summer is all about'. However, I am proud to report that I have grown past that. I read this post from David Rupert at Red Letter Believers and I sighed with pleasure. A simple summer sounds like a wonderful idea. My husband and I are home bodies. We enjoy spending time at home, so planning some elaborate picture worthy vacation complete with legendary stories of travel fun is not really our idea of fun.

So what are we doing this summer?

Great American Backyard Campout - Gathered around the firepit Photo Credit: KristinNWF

I am going to spend 30 minutes or so a day getting our yard under control. Today I trimmed cut in half an overgrown bush. I have two more to do this week and then on to weeding. I'm not going to get in a hurry. I'm not going to over do it. And I'm not going to worry myself that it isn't getting done fast enough. I'm not going to worry that it looks bad. I'm going to slowly and deliberately reclaim my yard.

We are going to spend a few days in Illinois with my family. We are also going to spend a week at church camp and I have a 2 day long conference to attend. We are going to go tubing with our youth group. We have VBS one week. And we have a wedding to attend.

Outside of 30 minutes a day that I'm going to be gardening, I'm going to play with my son more and maybe even go back working out a little. I'm going to bake more. This week I'm going to make homemade cinnamon rolls and I'm going bake some bread. We're going to have a few friends over and grill out. We're going to get a little fire pit thing and hang out around it.

Gardening, baking, playing, family, and friends. That is my plan for this summer. And I'm excited about it!!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great way to spend the summer! Although, I have to admit, after several years of not being able to take a vacation, I'm looking forward to actually taking one. Of course, that's not happening again this year. But I'm ok with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! Vacations are nice. Or maybe the thought of a vacation is nice. Maybe if I actually took one it wouldn't be as great as I think it should be. You know like the beach sounds nice until you get sand in your shorts and shoes and shirt and beach bag.

    Either way, I'm going to try to celebrate the small things this year.

    ReplyDelete