Saturday, May 11, 2013

Good Stuff Saturday 5-11



Pictures and Videos:

Foreign Policy - 14 Hairless Cats That Look LikeVladimir Putin  

These are hilarious!

National Geographic Photo of the Day - Shelf Cloud, Saskatchewan   

HOLY COW! Is this real?

Oxford Dam Overflowing 

Local dam overflowing because of the rain earlier this week.

Little Stones, Little Stars - Today We Laugh

"Reading Rainbow" a la The Doors by Jimmy Fallon. Too funny!

Cool Stuff to Read

Drip Jesus - Renovations and Lingering in the Mess  

you actually begin the renovation process.
And then you realize that you are in way over your head.
Why?

World Observer Online - 15 Things You Should Give Up To Be Happy 

We hold on to so many things that cause us a great deal of pain, stress and suffering – and instead of letting them all go, instead of allowing ourselves to be stress free and happy – we cling on to them.


Popsci - Why I Let My Students Cheat On Their Game Theory Exam 

On test day for my Behavioral Ecology class at UCLA, I walked into the classroom bearing an impossibly difficult exam. Rather than being neatly arranged in alternate rows with pen or pencil in hand, my students sat in one tight group, with notes and books and laptops open and available. They were poised to share each other’s thoughts and to copy the best answers. As I distributed the tests, the students began to talk and write. All of this would normally be called cheating. But it was completely OK by me.


I'd Laugh...But It All Happened To Me - Where the Buffalo Roam 

Buffaloes, on the other hand, respond in the exact opposite manner.  When they sense the storm brewing, they charge full speed INTO the path of the cloud!  They know that on the other side of the storm they will find fresh water and fresh grass. On the other side of the storm they will find the blessings they seek.  And they will spend LESS time in the rain by meeting the storm head on.

Katie Hawkins: Missionary to Albania - One Day 

One day, the Kenet will be a part of Durres in the eyes of the governement. One day, their roads will get paved. One day, things will be different. One day, things will be better. One day. That’s all the hope most Albanians have. One day.


The Grocery Run - A Cup to be Filled

In the midst of it, one of my friends makes an incredible statement, “At one point, I realized that I couldn’t take my cup to them anymore. You know what I mean? They can’t give me what I need, so I don’t expect it from them anymore.”

Jaime, the Very Worst Missionary - Flabby Thighs and Flappable Confidence 


When I was like 14? I walked into a room just as Pamela Anderson was making a mad dash down the beach on Baywatch (For those who don't know, Baywatch was a 90's TV show where hot people rescued ugly people from the ocean or something). As she ran through the sand - hair whipping, bronze flesh glimmering in the sun – a man in the room hissed, “That girl needs to tone up if she's gonna run in a skimpy bathing suit.” His voice was dripping with disgust.

Pamela Anderson, you guys. Pamela Anderson needed to “tone up”.


The Esau Project - Follow Me


It’s unfortunate that people in leadership feel like they have to sugar-coat their vision.  All Jesus said was “Follow me.”   That’s it.
And that’s where my questions come in.  Well, what are you going to want me to do?  How long is this going to take?  Can I finish what I’m doing here because this is going to be awesome?  And probably one of my biggest and most-nagging questions is this:  Why me?

The Grocery Run - Wednesday's Recipe: Calzones

The recipe I have to try soon!

The Deliberate Reader - Book Review: Wolf Hall

The book that just made my To Be Read List.

No comments:

Post a Comment