Monday, April 29, 2013

Hometown Pride

On Friday, I learned of George Jones passing and was sad. He had lots of great music. It may not all be may favorite, but I know there were covers that were my favorites. And this is one of my favorites by him. George Jones is pretty epic.

When I was on Facebook that night I saw various people saying things about him, but one really caught my eye. A girl I went to high school with posted this video with an RIP for George Jones. It reminded me of how proud I am of my hometown.



The song is sung by a local boy, well now he's a man, but that's not how the phrase goes. Lance Miller played around southern Illinois for awhile before he went to Nashville to try and make it. I do believe he is currently signed with a label and making music. Before he was signed he had an album out that had this song on it among other really good tunes. Unfortunately, I have lost the album and have not found where I can buy a replacement. About the time this album was out, he was on a show called Nashville Star. He ended up being in the semi finals. As a part of the semi finals, he came home had a celebration and a concert. His celebration included a parade, in which the high school marching band played and everyone in town got off work to go watch the parade. That night the high school gym was PACKED. It is still talked about as one of the best concerts people had seen. Unfortunately he did not go on, but it wasn't for lack of trying on the part of the 5000 residents of Fairfield. We made our multiple calls to try to get him there. Thankfully it did get him noticed and now he has some music coming out. It's good stuff, so you should check it out.

Another local kid trying to make it big was on the show, Pussycat Dolls Present: Girlicious. Country music and the Pussycat Dolls don't have much in common, except in Fairfield. Another local girl was trying to make it big, so we all tuned in to support her. I don't think that show had a call in thing like the other one did, but we all tried to help out.

It's great to see a town rally around a citizen that way. There is still something very important in the spirit of small town America. This support for someone's dream even when you don't understand it is a wonderful ideal that is still lived out in some places in the world. And thankfully my little hometown is still one of those places.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet post. I don't remember those events at all, but I never invested myself in Fairfield. Thank you for helping me see that it is more than I had believed :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome. I often appreciate much of what it taught me, but I don't really want to go back to living there. It is an interesting dichotomy.

    ReplyDelete