Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Story God Told Me To Tell

The Facebook group that I am a part of, Writers Unite, had a challenge to write about your faith affects your art this week. So I thought I would join in.
_________________________________________________________________________________
"Story Road" Photo Credit: umjanedoan

Finding a way to fit my faith into my art has been a struggle for me for as long as I have had both faith and my art.

I worry that my writing will not reflect God.
I worry about putting God in there artificially thereby making Him artificial and the story weaker.
I worry that writing about him will just make people tell me how wrong my theology is.

I have written more than once about this struggle here and here. Looking back at those posts, I talked about the need for good romance. I talked about my passion for mystery. And I have stated to several people recently that I want to write fantasy. So I don't even know what kind of a story that leaves me with. Maybe it leaves me with several. So far it has left me with none, not one story finished. And worse than not finished, I don't even care to finish. I have yet to find a character that I fall in love with. I don't care enough to go back to the character to finish the story let alone edit and submit it for critique.

So I tried to give up.

Then Sunday in church, I had inspiration from God. And I wrote this during the pastor's sermon. (Sorry, Pastor Scott!). When he called for people to go to the front, I was thinking, 'I don't need to go. I didn't even pay attention today.' Then God told me to go up front because he wanted me to write fantasy, something for which I feel uber-underqualified and of which I am terrified. He suggested a few other ideas as well. He wanted me to commit to writing because He wants me to do that. (Oh crap, I just said that out loud.) 

I don't want to commit to that. I don't want to try to find a character that I love enough to follow through to the end of a story and then edit said story and then send it off for critique and more editing. However, I do want to do God's will. So it seems that even though I don't know how to put God in my writing or what kind of writing I even want to do, He has put himself in my writing and He has a story for me to tell.

Lord, help me tell it well.

6 comments:

  1. I love this because I feel that struggle daily - Is it good enough? Is it crap? I think I'm doing well but it's hard to know for sure. Let me share with you one of my favorite quotes:

    When you are writing about God, or talking about Him, you were doing something you were created to do, even if you don't feel like a prince every minute you are doing it, in the end it turns out to be right; but when you are writing or talking about some matter or pride or envy to advance your own self, you feel lousy while you are doing it and worse afterwards and ten times worse when you read the stuff over a week later. . . ~ Thomas Merton

    This is so true and I try to use this as my guide. I don't have to feel like a prince, but I know that when I feel lousy continually, I didn't write for the kingdom, but for myself.

    Praying for you girl!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that quote. It seems like a good guiding principal. That just might make it easier to write things. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how we try to reason God out of us doing something, and He basically says, "Too bad -- I'm not changing my mind." It makes me think of Abraham and Gideon and how they each responded to God when He told them to do something. And it gives me hope. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Abraham and Gideon did that and still came out okay, I suppose I will too. Even if I am scared and unqualifed. -- I should probably stop saying that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle so much with this... it can be so hard to commit to the will of God! Good luck friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. It is good to know that we don't struggle alone.

    ReplyDelete