Saturday, February 16, 2013

Good Stuff Saturday 2-16



Photos

National Geographic Photo of the Day - Building Facade Detroit 


National Geographic Photo a Day - Street Scene , Manhattan 


You Decide How to Be


I'd Laugh, But It All Happened to Me - Liver and Lima Beans (A Lenten Challenge)  - For many years I joked that every year for Lent I would give up liver and lima beans.  And I never cheated on that promise.  It was easy- I HATE liver and lima beans!  This may seem like a terrible way to approach Lent, but in some bizarre way I was on to something. 

The Well Thought Out Life - What does it look like to submit to the Church?  - When I was in college a Prof of presented a list of spiritual disciplines, and one of them was submission. I was intrigued. I'd never heard the word used outside of the debate about submission in marriage, and the idea that we needed to at times choose the discipline of submission (to a boss, in a relationship, to a church, ...?) was all new. It absolutely went against my nature to think of choosing to submit when I didn't have to by moral obligation. 

NoSuperheros.com - Religious Activism of the Insecure  - But the statement caused me to take pause and wonder, “How much of our activism is rooted in insecurity?”
How many good deeds are actually attempts to earn the favor of God rather than as a loving response to it?



The Esau Project - Forgiveness - I think as Christians sometimes we’re afraid to let someone know that we’re angry or hurting because we’re always supposed to forgive.  But the way I read chapter 2, Paul doesn’t take the offense lightly.  I believe he was truly hurt.  And I believe that it wasn’t in his nature to forgive the person who had wronged him.  But he took time to step back from the offense and decided to forgive.


Where My Soul Belongs - How to Knock Down Writer's Block - Writer’s block does not exist.
It’s a fallacy. A myth. A fairy tale.
Writer’s block is a clever device writers have concocted so we have an easy out for when we are afraid to write.

You are worth it


The Story Project - My Anthem: He Can  -He can restore your body from sickness.
He can make you well again.
He can rekindle your dream.
He can raise you up to change a nation from your bedroom no matter your age. 

Unchained Faith - You are Loved -  Words mean things.  “Damaged goods” is something we should use to describe a bruised banana or a dented can of tomatoes or a package of frozen peas that split open.  Damaged goods are unsaleable throw-aways.
Call us sinners, if you believe we are.  Say we make mistakes or that we sometimes hurt each other or that we need forgiveness (from people or God).
But don’t call us damaged goods.  Human beings are not ever damaged goods.

Mustard Seed - Divorce and God - I was raised to believe that divorce is wrong.  It is!  But God still loves you and wants to pick you up and put you back together.  You have been broken.  God will put you back together.  You will never be the same again.  You will be stronger.  Think of your life like a stick.  When a stick is broken it can never be put back the same.  But, if you lash the two pieces together, it is twice as strong as before.  That is what God has done for me, and He will do it for you if you let Him. 


You Can Help


Mustard Seed - Surgery  - My surgery is scheduled for 7:30am on Monday February 18.  It is just minor surgery, I don’t even have to go to the Hospital, but I would appreciate your prayers.  


Overcome the Lie - Twitter Party on Monday, February 18th at 9 EST. #OvercomeTheLie and @OvercomeTheLie  All are invited and I'm pretty excited! We are empowering a generation of women to overcome every lie because Jesus overcame the grave. 

International Justice Mission - Ask the President to help Make Freedom Real  - President Obama will begin his second term as our nation commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation – the great promise of freedom to America’s slaves authored by President Lincoln.  As Dr Martin Luther King Jr. stated, “There is but one way to commemorate the Emancipation Proclamation. That is to make its declarations of freedom real…” 

No comments:

Post a Comment