Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One Word 2013: Hear

listening_solo Photo Credit: neinarson

This is now year 3 of my participation in the One Word movement. Last year was faithful and two years ago was hope. Each year has grown me slightly. (Or maybe greatly and I just haven't realized it yet.) This year I have not had any idea of what word would come to me. I wrote down several words on which to ponder. I had a few goals for the year written down and knew I wanted my word to fit with those.

My goals were as follows:

1. Finish my Nano novel by March.
2. Journal 3 times a week.
3. Read 24 books this year. (I'm not too set on that number. It sounded okay.)

However if my word was just about those goals, then my growth would just be in my writing and not in my life as a whole. So what word could help me grow as a writer and as a person? God came through for me as he always does. My first thought during church on Sunday was Listen. However one could listen without hearing anything. The word Hear is better because it indicates that something is being said and it is my responsibility to grab hold of it.

So this year I will hear better.

Hear my characters speaking to me, so I can create better character development.
Hear the lessons coming from the books I am reading.
Hear my heart speaking about my past, my present, and my future.
Hear God before he has to shout at me.

After a smidge of looking, I came across the perfect verse. Isaiah 30:21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

So this year I hope to walk in the way God is leading me because I hear his voice speaking to me about my writing, my heart, and my life.



What are you focusing on this year?

3 comments:

  1. I'm focusing on peace this year, particularly the 'pray about everything' part in Philippians 4. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't officially established my word for 2013 yet, but I'm hoping to STAY THE COURSE on what was started in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what power there is in focusing in on one word? It is something that seems doable for me. Good to know you guys are going along this road as well.

    ReplyDelete