Monday, January 21, 2013

My Walk is Not Your Walk

In Sunday School yesterday and Bible Study last night, the same idea came up twice. It is an idea that has come up in several books I have read recently. The idea in question: GRACE

Grace is a small word with big implications. As I have begun to get a handle on it, God has impressed one thing upon me several times. Living in grace and salvation is a process. Our walk with God is a process.

Road Photo Credit: Moyan_Brenn_be_back_on_Jan_20th

AND if OUR walk is that way, so is THEIR walk!

I can't expect myself to be perfect right away. I need to work on getting better in a few areas which God is showing me. AH! What a relief that is. I can stop beating myself up about the days I forget to read the Bible. I can stop beating myself up about the days I forget to pray. I can stop beating myself up about the days I don't work out. I can stop beating myself about the days that I don't eat right. I can stop beating myself up!

And possibly more importantly, I don't need to beat someone else up. When someone says, God told them to do it this way. I can trust that. I can believe based on their relationship with God that I have seen previously is enough. I know they have a relationship with God and I can trust God to work on them about that issue I have seen in their life. I can trust God to work on the heart of my friend/co-worker/family member/etc.

I don't have to fix it myself!

And more than I can trust God with that person in my life. I can trust God with that whole group of people that need him. I can trust God to extend his grace and love to them. I can trust God to raise up a person or people to speak in love and grace to those people. Then God can fix them.

I can study the Word, fellowship with others, pray, and continue on my walk with God. I don't have to be there right now.

Other people can study the Word, fellowship with others, pray, and continue on their walk with God. They don't have to be there right now.

Don't judge their walk by my training!

2 comments:

  1. This post really hit me hard. My Ladies bible study group has been reading through the chronological bible for the last few years and several of us are really digging deep into the meaning of each and every word while others are content to settle on the children's Sunday school stories. I have wanted to just shake them and say don't you get it. I have to realize that God reveals truths to us each at different times and in different ways. Thanks for pointing this out to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of use. Realizing this and reminding myself often has really helped me to settle down and trust God more with other people. And I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete