Monday, November 26, 2012

Patience is a virtue

Busy! Photo Credit: Nick J. Webb


Let me start by saying somewhere in my head there is a wonderful post. However, I have written 8000 words this weekend for NaNoWriMo, so making this a wonderful post probably won't happen. Sorry.

Last week I had to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a thing or two. Not for Thanksgiving, just for dinner and the dog, regular living stuff. Most normal people avoid Wal-Mart like the plague this time of year. This was last Monday before Thanksgiving. I figured it would be okay. I was wrong. There were people everywhere!

Some were impatient. Some were determined. A few were patient. Normally, I am one of the focused ones. I don't notice other people enough and probably come off as kind of rude.  Somehow when I walked it a strange feeling came over me. I was patient. I was not in any hurry. I looked out for others a little.

For instance, there was one aisle I had to go down. What I needed was in the middle of the aisle. I even walked down an aisle I didn't need to get to the other side and try from that end. It was a little better on that end. So I entered the aisle and slowly made my way to what I needed. As I neared an open area, the lady right on my tail zoomed around me. Knowing she was in a hurry, I went slower and let her around me. No hard feelings or bad thoughts. She went on and I got what I needed. As I exited the aisle, I walked by a cart with a couple young guys. One guy had just put his coat on the side of the cart and it fell to the ground. I stopped in my heels and my dress and picked it up and put it back in the cart. They were so genuinely thankful.

Of course, I was just repaying the favor. Earlier I was in another aisle and needing something. They were standing in the way. They saw my need and politely excused themselves. That may not seem like much, but in a busy Wal-Mart it is a big deal.

Also as I was checking out, there was a gentleman that was looking for a line. He only had two items. I was going to let him in front of me, but I was a couple people back in line. In the line next to me, another gentleman let him go in front. When I did get to the front, I chatted politely with the cashier. Not just the regular chat because you have to, but actual human to human chatting.

Sometimes it is the little things that make a big difference. A little bit of patience allowed me to see some needs around me that I don't normally see. I was able to react in a more Christlike way because I was willing to put myself aside and let Christ work through me.

Maybe I should be patient more often.

3 comments:

  1. This is a good post! Too often we forget how important the little things are. Thank you for this gentle and soothing reminder. I felt like I was walking the aisles with you, seeing things through your eyes.

    Have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Wal-Mart on Saturday and was not feeling all that patient or Christ-like by the time I got out of there. :-P Here's to doing better on my next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so sweet! I totally felt like this post was a mess. I guess my intent showed through. Thanks for encouraging me!

    ReplyDelete