Friday, November 2, 2012

'A gentle answer turns away wrath'

First and foremost, did you see my new header?! Kevin Haggerty has a business called KR Graphix.  He did a blog logo for Michelle. I knew his work was good, but I didn't think I should spend money on my blog. I'm not looking to be professional or anything. Then I saw hers and I was like, "I want one!" So I asked and got an amazing price and super-fabulous-over-the-top-great service. He even liked the fact that I gave him half a page of stuff that I like and don't like. And he finished it super fast! You have got to go check him out!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



This week I have heard about my health over and over and over. When I read a few blog posts about the topic, I think 'God is saying something.' Then I actually heard the doctor say something at my yearly physical. Then I realized that I have been trying to do it in my own strength and that doesn't work. 

Let me elaborate. I read a blog post from Julie about a Paleo meal.  Then I read a post from Judy about corn in all of our foods. These are two pretty hot topics, especially for me. Julie and Judy are amazing at sharing this information the right way. Not everyone else is. Some people are very loud and very insistent about it. When I hear those voices shouting at me, I just turn them off and discount everything they are saying.  These ladies do not do that at all.  They have a gentle voice with gentle suggestions. And I can't turn those off.  Those gentle suggestions get into my head. 

I still firmly believe that Paleo is not the solution for everyone. I do believe it is the solution for some and that they have some pretty good meal ideas. I have been making efforts in the last 2 weeks to not eat out of a box. I have made my breakfast and most of my lunches for the past 2 weeks. I know that I need to eat better and the change has to start with me. I am still not adventurous enough to try kale or make my own bread. (Maybe someday.) Their gentle suggestions got into my head and eventually into my life.

The doctor also gently suggested that I start working out 2 and a half hours a week and that I get more calcium. I have had my 3 servings of calcium required for the last 3 days. I have been drinking more milk and eating more yogurt, the Greek kind with more protein. And I'm loving it! I forgot how much I liked milk and yogurt and cheese. On Tuesday and Wednesday mornings, I worked out. Yesterday Ben woke up and my work out time was putting him back to sleep. A meeting after school and a fundraiser at a local restaurant took up the rest of the time. I intended to get up this morning and work out. However, my feet are so SORE from being on my feet all day and missing my thyroid medicine. So I'm going to work out tonight and tomorrow. I will get these 2 and half hours in!

On my own, I can't do it because I am lazy and unfocused. Someone shouting at me to do it only serves to make me determined NOT to do it. However a gentle suggestion gets me moving. So thank you ladies for gentle suggestions and giving me time to get this all worked out in my head. I see now that when I have been determined to do this in the past I have tried it in my own power and my own strength. I am now ready to let God give me the power and strength to follow through with this.

What gentle answer keeps prodding you? Can I pray with you about it?

4 comments:

  1. I *love* your new header! It looks great! And Kevin is a great guy to work with. :-)

    My gentle answer involves my need to be more consistent (and steadfastly so) with exercise and with prayer time. When I get busy/distracted with other things, those are often the first two areas to suffer. :-P

    But you're right -- we can't do it on our own. Thank God for His help and the help of those around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm super pleased with it too.

    I will be praying for your gentle answer. Right now I really don't want to go home and work out. I don't even want to go to Wal-Mart to pick up my prescription. However, I will because I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new header is INCREDIBLE! I gasped when I saw it. Love, love, love.

    My gentle proddin is to be at rest with my life. I can't tell you how many times a day I hear, "Relax. Your free from that. Breathe." I'm still afraid I'm going to wake up from what feels like an amazing dream. Accepting this as my new reality seems the hardest part!

    I will continue to pray for you. Trust God. He loves you like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I still can't believe it is mine.

    I understand what you mean. Having been freed from some weights myself I keep wanting to pick them back up.

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete