Friday, August 24, 2012

Where is my happiness?

 Photo Credit: Me! (citrus.sunshine)



I read this post from Red Letter Believers and this post from Run with the Big Girls and to me they are related.  You see I want to get healthier, but I'm not willing to sacrifice any of my happiness to do it.  I don't mean that in a selfish way because I don't get my happiness from pursuits of self.  I am happiest when I am playing with my son and husband.  I am happy when I am at my job helping students and teachers.  I am happy when I am at my other job helping the youth and our church.  I don't want to sacrifice these things to go run on a treadmill or work out at a gym or whatever.

Drew and I have talked about walking around the neighborhood, but haven't put it into practice yet.  So last Saturday I ran on the treadmill in the morning, but I missed my son waking up and running down the hall to find me.  I missed him sitting on my lap or laying next to us in bed.  It was a good work out, but I hated missing that.

The simple idea is to get up earlier.  I've tried that and I can't do it.  The earliest I can manage is about 6 am. I get my lunch together, get my breakfast and my coffee, I get dressed and do my hair, I have a little quiet time, and then it 7 and time to go.  I am going to try to fit in 10 to 15 minutes, but I'm not sure about that.  So getting up earlier really isn't working for me.

Last night Drew, Ben, and I went outside.  We ran and played soccer.  We jumped and tickled.  We were outside for an hour.  I worked up a little bit of a sweat.  I can't say that I 'worked out' for the whole hour.  I know I had fun.  I laughed and enjoyed my family and my home.  That is what I need more of.  That is what can help me be more healthy and more happy.  So whether it be a walk around the neighborhood or playing soccer outside, we, as a family, will be getting healthier and happier together.  And maybe some running will come along somewhere in there.


No comments:

Post a Comment