Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Love in the Real World: His Voice


This  is week 3 of the series, Love in the real world. There are so many Hollywood love stories out there that we forget what real love looks like. So over the next few weeks you will hear about what real love looks like (or doesn't), the good, the bad, and the in-between. Enjoy! 

This week we have a special "Happy Anniversary" from Judy at Glimpses of Glory.  She is an amazing wife, mother, blogger, waitress, and person.  Enjoy the story and then go read more of the great stuff she writes.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Answering machine Photo Credit: DaveC_


The first time I heard it, his voice was a simple recording on my mother’s answering machine. At the time, my pelvis was split in two places and I could hardly make it to the bathroom without incident. In her rush to fly me from Texas to Kentucky, my mother had forgotten her check book at the local gas station where he worked. The message was simple, “Hey Marcy! This is Donovan. I just wanted to let you know that you left your checkbook at the gas station. We’ll have it for you the next time you come in. Thanks! Bye.” I replayed it over and over. His voice sounded . . . hot! My 21 year old heart fluttered every time I heard it. When I met him in person, I was not to be disappointed! He was incredibly good looking, charming, and caring. Within 10 months we were married, and on August 14th, we will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary.
His voice is with me every day. I listen to it when he prays for me in the morning and when we go to sleep at night. Everyday, he calls me at lunch to check in and see how his family is doing. When I’m lucky, we’ll talk late into the night after a good movie about our dreams and hopes and prayers for the future. If things are rocky between us, or if I’m stuck in a rut, his words are like lifelines thrown out to a drowning man. I listen to him talk to our children. I’ve heard his voice in the other room, working out some issues with our son or directing our daughters. He stays in the moment; he looks them in the eyes. He is present with them and with me.
After 10 years, I still love the sound of his voice, not only for it’s sweetness but because of the heart that lies behind it. I want to know what he has to say because he is learning how to listen to the Father. My husband follows hard after God. He longs to hear His voice and I’ve seen that the more he listens to His words, the closer I want to be by his side.
                In 10 years, I have heard him say many things: words that hurt, words that healed, words that made me brave, and words that made me laugh hysterically. We have walked and talked through experiences that I could never have predicted. Only once, did his words suggest that we end our relationship. That was nine years ago and the worst night of my life. The next day, he said the best words ever spoken, “I want to try again.” I think that’s been the secret for us in our marriage: We are willing to try. No matter how hard it gets, we aren’t going to let go. We want to see where this leads. Even if we hit a dead end, we turn around, hand in hand, and keep trying.
                His voice is my favorite sound in the world. I pray that I can hear it until my dying day. I don’t know when that will be, but when it comes, I hope that I can still hear him say what we say to each other every day, “I love you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment