Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Saying it loud... I don't like playgrounds

This is week 8 of this series.  I will let you know a little more about me in a series of succinct easy to read and access posts.  There are some things about me that I have heard regularly or wanted to say, but didn't have the guts to say.  Now, I'm going to say all of that stuff.  Hang on for the ride!

Week 2 - I am a writer
Week 3- I read for the words
Week 4- I believe in spirits
Week 5 - I love blogs 
Week 6- I'm an introvert
Week 7- I'm a sports fan
_________________________________________________________________________________

School/Playground (Creative Writing)  Photo Credit: nortoncasey67

I have to admit that one major reason I never want to be an elementary school teacher is recess.  I just don't understand how you keep track of all the kids while they are running all around.  They could get hurt.  Not to mention that you always hear stories of how mean other kids are at recess.  If you have trouble monitoring what they are doing, how are you going to monitor what they say!  Recess is a time for chaos and unruly children.  I just can't handle that.  However, there is a deeper reason that I don't like playgrounds.

It happened in 5th grade.  That was a pretty big year for me.  I moved to Northern Missouri at the beginning of 5th grade.  We rented a pretty cool house and I have some very vivid memories of that house.  After a few months there, we moved back to my hometown in Southern Illinois.  I remember being bombarded with questions and people upon arrival.  Being the new kid could have privileges unless you are introvert.  I just wanted to crawl in a hole and have them ignore me.  I'm sure I was awkward and probably rude.  (Sorry about that to any of my 5th grade classmates.)  The playground was the worst place for all the attention.  Different people would have a question for me or telling me about a different boy that had a crush on me.  Someone would come up and tell me about something someone else said about me.  It was exhausting!

As I became less new, I settled into a few good friends and the playground settled down.  Until one fall day, I don't remember anything special about the play time on the playground.  What I vividly remember is when we went inside.  For some reason, I got caught behind the rest of the class.  A very tall boy from the lower level class stood in front of me and stared at me.  I remember him standing in my way.  I remember we were standing in the shadows.  I don't remember him saying a word.  I have no clue what his goal was.  And I remember being afraid.  It wasn't a dream or embarrassment.  It was fear.  In my memory of events, I do not remember who moved first.  I don't remember if a teacher called us inside.  I do know we went inside and I never really told anyone about it.  No need to really because it wasn't a big deal.  It was just a creepy event.  

It did leave a lasting impression though, so playgrounds and I don't get along.  Between chaos, rumors, and an unsettling event, I would rather just stay off of them entirely.  Thankfully, middle school students don't play on the playground.
  
What do you think about playgrounds?  Did you love them in elementary school or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment