Thursday, July 5, 2012

Numbers and Value

Today, I am on the road again heading back to North Carolina.  Instead of boring you with some blabber that I threw together, I am giving you an amazing opportunity.  You get to read some thoughts from Michelle Woodman, a fellow blogger, a great Canadian, and a super person (partly because I asked for a volunteer at the last minute!).  You can read the rest of her bio below.  Enjoy!  Then leave comments here or at her blog because that is the nice thing to do.


And another nice thing to do is run a 5k tomorrow or Saturday, specifically THIS 5k.  Time doesn't matter!  Just get up and do it.  I am and so can you!
_________________________________________________________________________________



“Try not to become a man of success,
but rather try to become a man of value.”
~Albert Einstein


Since I began blogging, however many years (and turfed blogs) ago, I have been watching the numbers:

           - How many people are visiting the site daily? Weekly? Monthly? Since this morning?
           - What is the percentage of new traffic vs. repeat customers?
           - How long are people staying?
           - What pages are they looking at, and for how long?
           - Are there any comments? How many?

And the temptation for me is to find the magical equation, the certain something, that will help my numbers grow. As I look at the information offered by Google Analytics and read other blogs and converse with fellow bloggers, I try to figure out what it is I need to do in order to achieve success. And much of the picture I have painted of success as a blogger involves – you guessed it – numbers; lots and lots of numbers.

This all leads to another temptation, this quest for numbers. It’s the temptation to wear a mask, to pretend to be something or someone I’m not so people will flock to me, read what I write, and then engage in conversation with me and other people about it.

That’s why I’m very thankful for bloggers like Andrea (who has been so kind as to allow me to guest post on her blog today!). Because what she keeps coming back to is not attaining a certain level of success numerically, but about impacting someone’s life. About making a difference, offering help, whether that involves five, 15, or 150 people.

Deep down, I think that’s what many (if not all) of us want to do as bloggers, as people. We want to make a difference. We want to offer something of value that will benefit other people. I know for myself when I get too caught up in page views and SEO optimization, I forget the people. And I don’t want to do that any longer.

So lets work at offering value, something that people may not even know they need until they come across it, because in the end that is what really counts.

Michelle Woodman writes about the goings-on in her small corner of the world at This Time Around while procrastinating researching her in-the-works novel. You can also keep up with her random tweets at @crosscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment