Saturday, July 14, 2012

Good Stuff Saturday 7-14


Pictures and Poetry

Pictures of poverty - Craaak!  We've got contact

Pictures of Poverty - Major League Baseball is on its All Star Break 


Scripture Doodle - Doodle of the Day: Micah 6:8

The Handwritten - Unicorns and Rainbows


The Handwritten - Choose Forgiveness



Bryan Allain - The makings of a family picture


These are worth your time to read
True Beggars - Don't be naive - Last Sunday, while preaching from Acts 16:16-33, I warned our congregation against the casual dismissing of the demonic in both the biblical storyline and our present world. 


Shawn Smucker - What are you looking at? - A man and a woman walked past my mom’s candy store where I worked on Saturday. The woman’s gaze swept longingly over all of the chocolate. The man laughed and in a boisterous voice shouted out to her:
“You just lookin’ at pounds, girl. That’s all you lookin’ at.”
Oh hush,” she said. “I’m just lookin’.”
“Like pastor said on Sunday,” he kept on, “Your eyes are connected to your brain. Where you look, you gonna go.”
He was right. Five minutes later, much to her own chagrin, she left the shop with a pound of fudge.
Mustard Seed - Marriage Monday: Be thoughtful - Too often we take our marriages, and our spouses, for granted.  Once we get married we don’t put as much time and effort into winning the heart of our spouse as we did when we first started dating. 


The Esau Project - You make it beautiful  - But then there are times when everything just takes off.  And it all works out.  And it’s way more awesome than I could ever wish for.
It’s in these times that I realize again how God takes care of me.
This time around - Confessions of an introvert -  I prefer to run to the accompaniment of my iPod, will lunch quite happily with a book, and can get a little tetchy if I can’t squirrel away a little bit of ‘alone time’ on a regular basis.



Shawn Smucker - Part Two: Surviving the worst case - “You are forgiven man,” I said. “I accept your apology and you are forgiven. I was hoping that we would get a chance to talk. God has been gracious with me when I have made mistakes and I don’t hold anything against you. I was actually hoping that I could share some of my journey with you sometime if you would like to get together.”


The Isle of Man - Why I didn't Like your status about Jesus - First off, posting things on Facebook doesn't take a lot of effort. Copying and pasting something onto your Facebook wall, probably doesn't register with God.

Last time I checked, He doesn't have an account.

Second, it really alienates a lot of people. You may not mean to be saying it, but you send a message that says:

Compassion - Much is required - How often we forget why we do what we do and who we are actually serving. How often we get consumed in making a living for ourselves rather than caring for these little ones. How often we forget the weight of responsibility and accountability we have in our jobs here at Compassion.


Courtesy of Compassion International: http://blog.compassion.com/much-is-required/#ixzz20YBKeKNc

Jon Acuff - What to do when people ignore you for their iPhone - From now on, when people I’m having a conversation with get lost in their iPhone instead of talking to me, I’m going to handle things Pandora style. 


The Rantings of a Dad - Cinnamon toast - Except this one time, my mom accidentally grabbed the chili powder, which looks a lot like cinnamon but tastes a lot like something I don't want to eat on buttery toast. I'd rather have it in my chili where it belongs.



A New Blog to Read
Honest Toddler - States of Night Grief - Last night I was a hot mess. I’m not going to mince words and try to explain it away with growing pains, teething, or general anxiety over Big Bird’s 20+ year denial that he/she is sitting on soon-to-hatch eggs. 

Honest Toddler - Grandma and Grandpa - Dear Grandma and Grandpa,
I haven’t seen you in about a week which is fine. Maybe you have something better to do than watch your sweet baby bloom into life. :(
This past week was difficult. I just wanted to update you on what has been going on here and happening to me. Please see below.


Honest Toddler - Dada - Sometimes I’m naughty. My hands hit. Screams. I break things. And you keep coming home.
I throw food across the room. Spill yogurt on your toys. Draw on your favorite papers. Do bad smelling things in the bath. And you keep coming home.
Honest Toddler - The Woman - write today with a heavy heart. It has recently come to my attention that the woman and I are indeed, not the same person. She is one, and I am another. This news has not been easy to come to terms with and I’m still not sure if I believe it.


Honest Toddler - Placenta - I miss you, placenta. You know I have to eat now, right? Chew and everything. New tastes every day. What I wouldn’t give to spend an evening with just you and a couple glasses of amniotic fluid. No pressure. I’m just…

No comments:

Post a Comment