Saturday, June 23, 2012

Good Stuff Saturday 6-23





Articles that will make you think, laugh, and enjoy

Laura Parker: Life Overseas - Peace like a River - I’m wondering what it looks like to embrace a “peace that passes understanding,” one not contingent at all on circumstances or storms or even stable places to put my feet. I’m wondering what it means to live with a peace that’s the raging-river-kind, that always presses forward with power, sweeping up the smaller, irrelevant debris in its wake.

No Superheroes- Promote Balance in your team - I know many in ministry who work insane hours since the work is never done. The pastoral issues never stop, the needs of a community are always there, and of course there will never be a shortage of people who need to hear the gospel.
I have been this person. I burnt the candle at both ends. I managed for a season, but ended up in burnout and dissatisfaction.
I want to be in ministry for my life. Anyone can do it for a season, but to maintain for a lifetime; balance or pacing is necessary. This is the culture I want in my team.
No Superheroes - Can we teach the Grace of God to our children? - Several months later I found myself giving my youngest son, Thabo, consequences for a choice he made. Garett pipes up, offering to take the punishment for his brother.
He says it makes him sad to see his brother miss out and he wants to take his place. He reminds me this is what Jesus did for him.
SmartBlog on Leadership - Leading with an attitude of gratitude - Expressing gratitude is really the art of noticing — noticing what others do and how it affects you. Yes, our co-workers sometimes cause problems, but the vast majority of what our colleagues do helps us and helps the company. By putting more emphasis on leading with an attitude of gratitude, we can build confidence in others, improve productivity, foster innovation and develop positive relationships at work.

The Isle of Man - From the archives: Top Signs you might be a Jerk  - Maybe you've suspected it. You feel it, deep down. You think you're a pretty decent dude or dudette, but there's just this voice that asks a question from within your consciousness:

"Am I a jerk?"

No worries. I've got ya covered. After the jump, I've got the full guide with in-depth analysis that will help you figure out if you are, indeed, a jerk.

J Bryant Writes - Domesticating God - I’ve tried so hard to believe, to wrap my mind around his impossible being, that I’ve taken away parts of who he is. I’ve turned the magnificent Aslan into a tiny house cat.  
I’ve taken a powerful, mighty Creator and reduced him to so little. I think a part of me would prefer a safe, loving, quiet father who stays silent. Someone who takes care of me when I need it, but stays out of the way when I want to do things on my own.

Heather Summers- How to we get back to being the Body of Christ -
Going on missions trips in high school and college was pretty much a
requirement if you wanted to be in the Cool Christians Club.  If you
didn’t go build an orphanage in Haiti or a skate park in Guatemala at least once
before you graduated from high school, you were obviously spiritually
lacking and needed some serious prayer from your holier brothers and
sisters in Christ.

I did my best to preach the Gospel to all the unsaved people I knew,
but my tongue would always get tied.
 And although I felt bad and
prayed for the starving kids in Africa, I never had a heart for going
overseas myself.

A Deeper Story - True Gospel  "So I’ll tell you what I think when my head turns fuzzy and I feel lost in all the raucous.” The man’s eyes were earnest as he turned and caught the boy’s searching gaze. “If the gospel requires more than the faith of a weathered old farmer holding his worn out Bible, loving God and loving people, it isn’t such good news after all.”

John Michael de Marco - What drives you to write?  - Some of us will have a healthy, up-close cluster of those who actively listen to us and empathize on a daily basis, and others will not. Whatever form it happens to take, positive or negative, everyone will be heard at some point.


In fact, if you’re like me, you have no choice but to swim in the imaginary river that floats between your ears and attempt to cascade ripples downstream to the concrete world that surrounds us. 

(I don't actually follow this blog.  I just stumbled upon this post and it was amazing!)

Compassion - Understand on another's needs - Are the needs of a man driving a Lexus the same as a man living across the globe who will never own a car? How about the needs of a family who can’t afford bread? How do their needs compare with broken families who eat in separate houses?

Courtesy of Compassion International: http://blog.compassion.com/understanding-one-anothers-needs/#ixzz1yQwx4qiy


Katie Hawkins: Missionary to Albania - Summer & Water  - Knowing how hard they work to make sure Nicole and I have water makes it easier for us to conserve water, to not take long showers, to not wash clothes as often, to not wash dishes (who am I kidding, we never complained about that one!), to not flush the toilet unless it needed to be.

Plant with Purpose - A Postcard from Oaxaca - We praise God that He allowed us to lend a hand in the construction of this kitchen and cistern. It was inspiring to see the strong cultural value of unity in this community that was so apparent in how they carried out this project. Members who initially were not interested in assisting joined in the effort simply because they are committed to their community. We pray that the kitchen is able to serve many nutritious meals and provide a needed service that allows more children to go to school. 


By the way, that is Wah-ha-ka.  Not Oh-ax-ka.  


Feature Blog -  I didn't intend to have a feature blog, I just really loved what I read all week.
The Jesus Mommy - Life 101 I dropped in a hole this week. More like, I buried myself in the task of trying to make something happen before it’s time. I spent hours furiously praying, believing, and trusting that “this” will happen. It didn’t. “It” has to wait and so do I.
I’m still recovering from all my spiritual fervor.

The Jesus Mommy - On Daily Living - To live content with small means;
     To seek elegance rather than luxury,
    and refinement rather than fashion;

The Jesus Mommy - Restoring the kingdom - Relinquishing, I got off the phone and went upstairs. After letting the dog out, and keeping all my cursings silent, I cleaned up the mess and lugged out the steam-cleaner.
What the heck happened? Everything was fine! Why did one phone call throw everything off?


Websites I have discovered

Multiply -




Scripture Doodle -
#scripturedoodle is "a creative movement of illustrating God's Word."
Joining the #scripturedoodle movement is easy, fun, and a great way to get God's Word to "sink in"!  


All you have to do is: 
1. Pick a verse or two from the bible
2. Illustrate it using any medium you like
3. Post a picture of it on Facebook or Twitter and use the hashtag #scripturedoodle.* 


Videos that excited me
Not For Sale - Episode 1: The Problem of Slavery in the Amazon - One man we know in the Amazon told us his story. Growing up, his mother couldn’t afford to feed all of her children. So, he left home at age 12 to work in a gold mine, where he had to work 20 hours a day without food or pay. Unfortunately, his story isn’t uncommon. 
So Not For Sale did something about it.  Watch the video.  Then go read this article:  How we need your help launching REBBL

Blood Brother Trailer - Blood Brother is the story of a group of children infected with HIV and Rocky Braat, a disenchanted young American that met them while drifting through India. He wanted to save them all, but in reality he couldn’t cure even one of them. He had to stay. It’s a hard life. He faces opposition in many forms. He lives in a concrete hut. Sometimes, he is close to despair. The truth is, he needs them as much as they need him. They teach him, daily, that love is the only thing that makes life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment