Monday, June 18, 2012

Death of the Modern Superhero: Book Review



If you all follow me on Twitter or a friend of Facebook, you know I have been quoting a lot from the book, Death of the Modern Superhero.  If you don't, then you probably don't know that.  So I'm going to tell you about it today.

My Amazon Review:
 "Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did"
I realize that applied to Jesus first, but that phrase ran through my mind several times as I read this book. There are things I have wondered about for years, like the tension of faith and the mystery of faith. He explained it. Every page I underlined a memorable quote. By memorable I mean, some life changing words that changed that the way I think about God, other people, and myself. I can not say enough good things about this book. I will be reading this book again and again to remind myself of these truths.

Grace can be such a fuzzy concept. At times I have tried to grab hold of it only to find it slip out of my grasp. This book gave me a firm hold on grace. It is no longer something fuzzy. It is now a concrete concept. I understand grace. I understand God's bigness and how special it is that he came to me and loved me.

In this book, Chris Lautsbaugh really did tell me everything I ever did or tried to do or thought. I feel like he was in my head while writing this book. Read it and you will find the same thing!


A few things I tweeted about it:


"A difficulty in the present becomes a blessing in the future." Death of the Modern Superhero".


"He is a God of the process, who delights in the journey. ... He wants us to rely on Him as we walk in the Spirit."


"When we preach the gospel to ourselves, it is spiritual warfare." 


"Grace is less about what we do and more about who we love."  (This one may be from his blog and not the book, but the blog is awesome too.  So go read that also.


"We cannot ask for grace, we can only cry for mercy."

The tweets were quotes from the book that spoke to me.  Of course there were quotes on every page that spoke to me.  You seriously can not read this book without a highlighter or a couple highlighters.  This book has changed the way I look at grace and the way I look at God.  It has explained things to me that I was confused about.  It has explained things to me that I didn't know I was confused about.  I really can not say enough good things about the book.  I really think every person who calls themselves a Christian should read this book.  You can even borrow my copy if you want to read it.  (Just don't use a highlighter with mine.)  If you do borrow mine, I will warn you that you will love it so much that you'll have to go out and get your own copy.  

What book has taught you the most as you read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment