Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Saying it loud...I'm a straight edge hippie

This week I start a new series.  I will let you know a little more about me in a series of succinct easy to read and access posts.  There are some things about me that I have heard regularly or wanted to say, but didn't have the guts to say.  Now, I'm going to say all of that stuff.  Hang on for the ride!

_________________________________________________________________________________

In case you don't know what those words mean, I have defined them for you.

The One And Only Hippie Memorial (Arcola, IL)Photo Credit: MrSchuReads

Hippie - They possess a core belief set revolving around the values of peace and love as being essential in an increasingly globalized society, and they are oftentimes associated with non-violent anti-governmental groups. (Via Urban Dictionary)

Of course the definition of hippie is something that varies depending on the website you check, but the definition of hippie that applies to me is the one above.  Well maybe not anti-government, but the rest I agree with.  I'm not saying that I'm a pacifist or that I am against the military and those that serve.  I actually think they are pretty important to having peace.  We live in a fallen world and if we want 'peace and love, man' it takes hard work and sometimes we have to fight for it as a nation.  As individuals, we need to give up the right to be right.  We need to give up a little of our comforts in order to live lives of peace and love.  We need to be conscious of others in far flung places around the globe and how we can affect the peace and love in their lives with our decisions.  I would like to see world peace and I do want to learn to love everyone.  I want to leave the Earth better than I found it ecologically AND in the lives of people.  I believe that peace and love can change the world.

Side note: I also like paisley patterns, hair without lots of doing, and no make-up.

I'm not sure if it is my penchant for paisley, my preference for the natural look, or my belief in peace and love, but I have been called a hippie by various people throughout my life.  Not to make fun of me, but just a comment on my counter culture tendencies.  However, those comments have never totally sat well with me.  That brings us to straight edge.  

straight edge // hardcore   Photo Credit: nasty days

Straight edge -  a lifetime commitment never to drink, smoke, or do drugs. some people include abstainence from promiscuous sex. others abstain from caffeine. started in the hardcore/punk scene of the early 1980's in Washington DC. (Via Urban Dictionary)

Among other things hippies are known for some less healthy choices shall we say.  So I can't say that I am totally a hippie.   In fact, I am very ANTI those things about hippies.  My belief in living a clean lifestyle is very much a part of who I am.  Until the last few months, I didn't have a name for it.  Thanks to professional wrestling, I do have a name for it.  Yes, you read that right.  

Side note: Drew has started watching professional wrestling again recently and I have watched it with him because I like to spend time with my husband and I like a good story.  They have good stories that are often over dramatized, but I prefer that to fake reality.

There is a professional wrestler named CM Punk.  He wears an x on his wrist tape and Drew explained the significance of the x.  It is a symbol for those committed to a straight edge lifestyle.  I have long believed that there are better things for me to be doing than getting drunk or high.  Now due to the medicine that I take even half a drink will put me there.  In fact, discovering this was the closest I have ever been to drunk.  I have long held the belief that the long term consequences, liver failure, lung cancer, etc., outweigh the temporary fun that might be had.  I have long held the belief that by committing to one person my life will be happier in the end.  I am also coming to the belief that I need to be careful about caffeine.  I wouldn't go so far as to say abstain, but I am cognizant of how much I have and the effect thereof.  I believe abstinence from these things will make me a better person.

After 31 years on the planet I finally figured out a category for my counter culture tendencies.  So I'm saying it loud: I am a straight edge hippie! 

2 comments: