Thursday, May 3, 2012

Measuring success

Free coiled tape measure healthy living stock photo Creative Commons  Photo Credit: Pink Sherbet Photograhy

Recently I read a tweet that said, "Taking 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 pretty hard lately. Call it conviction. Treated my body like a barn and God is reminding me its a temple."  That one made me think pretty hard.  Like most women, I have a love/hate relationship with my body.  My convictions to do this or that come and go.  Some stick and some don't.  I recently heard a presentation about healthy eating and I would like to find ways to eat healthier this summer that fit into our schedule.  We'll see if I get that done.  In the mean time, I'm trying to pay closer attention to how much I eat.  The other night, just a day or two after seeing the tweet, we had pork chops, baked potatoes, and green beans.  Drew fixed me 2 thin pork chops to go with the baked potato and green beans.  I chose to put back one pork chop.  My baked potato, a vegetable, was the biggest thing I ate.  I have been drinking twice as much water as usual.  With my Spanish PE, I am working out more.  I am attending Zumba at church once a week.  AND probably most importantly, I'm enjoying the physical activity.  I know that these little things will lead to being more healthy.

Another gain I have made, I am comfortable with the fact that I have curves.  I can sit up straight and walk with my shoulders back because I have curves and I like them.  There have been generations of women with curves and normal sized that appeared in paintings of the masters, like in the Renaissance and Baroque periods.  Even in Neo-Classicism and Romanticism show curvy normal sized women.  The modern ideal of beauty is incompatible with the generations of artists and societal norms that have come before me.  I choose to follow the generations before me.  100 years ago all the plucking and shaving wasn't heard of (not that I'm saying I quit that), so why do I need to stress to fit in to all these new rules?  These are the facts I am working to live out every day.

But the other day after I ate more vegetables than meat and after I exercised and after I drank extra water, I took a bath.  And while slouching in the bathtub, I worry that I don't look healthy.  I worry that I'm treating my body like a barn because I have a roll or two when I slouch.  After all the good decisions, I made I worry that I'm not healthy and I'm letting God down because of it.

I stopped and took an assessment of the day and realized that was a lie from Satan.  As such, I will ignore it!  I will keep working and keep believing in my beauty.  I'm going to measure success in happiness and not in clothing sizes.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to totally agree with you on this post! I have been battling my weight for the past couple years and I've decided to heck with it, I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life and who cares if I can't still wear the same size I wore in high school. I eat right most of the time and indulge myself when I want (without going overboard). I don't have a regular exercise routine, but I have a lifestyle that keeps me pretty active. All that matters is that I am happy and healthy. The people who love me don't mind my weight and the people that mind don't matter. If you don't like the way I look, feel free to turn your head. There are so many more important things in life to focus on. :)
    -Kortny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! There are so many diet fads and exercise fads and maybe even 'plans' that work, but I am not interested in that. Too much planning for my life. I'm going to live and be happy. If I eat too many processed foods that might give me some health issue later on, so be it. Not that I want to be sick, but you know what I mean.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. I did Weight Watchers for awhile, and it did work. I lost almost 15 pounds, but I quickly grew tired of counting points and weighing myself all the time. I was really happy with the results, but I missed eating all the foods I loved. Got tired of ordering "healthy food" at the restaurant when I really wanted a big juicy cheeseburger. LOL! I've gained back everything I lost, but like I said I'm the happiest I've ever been and I'm healthy and that's all that matters. :)
      -Kortny

      Delete
    3. And really is 15 pounds worth it? For me, I would be at an ideal weight if I lost 30 pounds. However, I don't feel like I need to do that now. I just need to be a little healthier. I did Zumba tonight and had tons of water today. I stopped eating when I was full today. Those are things I can do and be a little healthier. If I am consistent about it, then I might see a difference in a year. Great! If I don't, I'm healthier and that's good. Happy and healthy do not mean stick thin! Each of us has our own weight and body type. Let's be proud of what we have.

      Delete