Thursday, April 19, 2012

One Word Check-in: Month 4



This year my One Word is Faithful.  I talked about why I picked the word here.  I talked about my 1 month update here.  We are in month 4, so I thought another update was in order.

I mentioned 3 areas that I wanted to work on our house, our finances, and people.  As for the house, the dishes are being done regularly.  The clothes are being washed regularly.  I'm working on the folding them regularly.  The big news is on the outside of the house.  The gardening is going great!  One of the planters that had NOTHING in it is now full of replanted flowers.  The planter that was so overgrown we would almost lose our dog in it has been dug out and weeded.  There are some plants already in it and one replanted.  The big hole that the dog of the former owners dug is now filled.  Weeding has been done in all the planter beds.  And I mean dig deep and get the roots out kind of weeding.  Some of the bushes have been trimmed.  There has even been a little bit of mulch spread.  I owe all of this to my mother in law.  She is a gardening guru.  She has replanted all of the new flowers we have.  She has let us borrow her tools to dig out the weeds and rake out the dead leaves and weeds.  I feel so much more accomplished than I expected to feel about our yard.  Thanks nana!

As to the finances, we have been paying regularly on our debt and an end is in sight.  We have made some good decisions, like waiting on purchases that are not necessary right now.  We have cut back a little on food.  Some weeks are better than others.  What I am most proud of is the fact that we have only had to use our credit cards a couple times.  There was a miscommunication about what bill to pay and we paid one twice.  Next month we don't have to pay that bill, so the money will go back to the credit card and we will be back on track.  We have also had a little extra to donate to worthy causes, like getting kids a house, keeping kids healthy, and planting trees to help others get food.

The people part of my one word has been very close to my heart lately.  An unexpected person has come back into my life.  It is a good thing and I'm glad this is my word of the year because many times I have wanted to be judgmental about the changes in them.  When I start to judge, I remember my word and commit again to be a faithful sister in Christ to them.  Some plans haven't gone like I expected and people have not come like I expected.  My first reaction was to judge the people who didn't live up to my standard.  Then I got an explanation and as it turns out their answer wasn't never.  It's a "not now" and I'm okay with that because the right time could make it better than the wrong time that people put up with.  It took me awhile to get back to my word on that one, but I'm there now and committing all over again to be faithful to them as a sister in Christ.

Overall progress is being made, but I still see areas of improvement.  Did you pick a word?  How is it going?

4 comments:

  1. Love your word! You seem to have been "faithful" to your word for the first four months of this year. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am surprised how often God has brought this word back to me through different situations this year. I am anxious to see how He will continue to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked RELEASE... Some parts of the word I'm doing really well. Others could be improved on, happy to have 7 more months to work on those parts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy to have 7 more months to work on those parts! This is really a process. Sometimes it is slow going and sometimes I am increasing by leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete