Monday, April 23, 2012

One of these things is not like the other

This weekend Ben had a birthday party to go to.  I always worry about that because I'm afraid he'll insist on it being his birthday and want to open the kids presents and get into the cake.  However, none of that happened and he was great!  What did happen is that I learned a little something about myself.

sprinkler  Photo Credit: jjsala

I am not like most other women!  For those of you that know me, this isn't new.  For those of you that have followed me for a little while, you also probably know this.  On a daily basis I don't think about it, but then I do something and someone looks at me funny and I realize that I'm not like most other women.  On Saturday, it was a sprinkler that reminded me.

At the birthday party, they had a slip and slide thing with a sprinkler on the side.  Ben loves water, so I thought he would be all over it.  However, it was a little cold and Ben hadn't ever seen one of those before.  He is always hesitant about a new thing.  So I did the first thing that came to mind.  I took off my shoes and socks, picked up Ben, and ran through the sprinkler.  Yes, I still had on my jeans and my semi nice shirt.  They were both dark, so it was okay.  Ben LOVED it!  He also would not go through it by himself no matter how many times I showed him first.  That's my cautious daredevil.  Next time he sees one I'm sure he will be all over it, but Saturday he just wasn't sure.  So I ran through the sprinkler multiple times and got wet.  I rolled up the leg of my jeans and kept going.  When we were done, I dried off a little with the towel we brought and wrapped Ben in it.  I cautiously walked back inside not leaving any wet spots because I wasn't that wet.  We changed Ben back into dry clothes and settled in for the cake and presents.  When we left, I walked through the parking lot barefoot because I didn't want to get my shoes and socks wet.  When we got home, I changed clothes and thought what a great party it had been.

I'm not sure everyone else thought my sprinkler run was 'normal.' Of course, I'm not sure people thought it was normal when I signed up to take a whip cream pie to the face for our JDRF fundraiser in school several years ago.  I just wanted to encourage the kids to donate.  If pieing a teacher in face did that, then great.  I thought it was fun.  After I was pied on my lunch break, I went back to the teacher workroom, washed my hair out, put it in a ponytail, and went on teaching.  That's another example of something that probably wasn't considered 'normal.'  Given some time, I can probably come up with a few more stories.  However for today, I think those will suffice.  I  may be one woman who is not like the others, but I like that.

What about you?  How are you not like the others?

No comments:

Post a Comment