Monday, April 2, 2012

My Story Found

Family Group  Photo Credit:  anyjazz65

After talking about finding my story in  my parentsmy grandparentsmy great-grandparentssome other family members,  the younger ones, and the girls and the  in laws, it only makes sense to tell the story I am finding.

This is what I have learned so far:
From my parents:
Happily ever after is our goal too.
From my grandparents:
I hope to have the strength to live out my love that way.
I hope my marriage looks like that in 50 years.
From my great-grandparents:
The love and genuine desire to share life with the recipient spoke to me then as they do now.  This is who I want to be.
Neither of them were perfect, but they raised hard working faith filled children.  I hope I can do that no matter the circumstance.
They served people where they were at.  I want to do that.
His laughter and her love shaped my life in very powerful ways.  I genuinely hope to be half of what they were. 
From other family members, like cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.:
They make me remember that family is family no matter how distantly related.
I hope I can raise my child(ren) that well.
This hard working, intelligent, committed, funny man that loved his country and his family is someone I hope my son can grow up to be like.
I hope to include people as quickly and easily as they always have included me.
I hope I welcome people into my house with as much open hospitality as they always have.
I hope impart such things on those young ones within my sphere of influence.
From younger family members, like cousins and my brother:
These two remind me that laughter goes a long way toward happiness in life.
I hope to  be as generous as they are with my loved ones.
I hope to be as determined as they are to love well and show loyalty.
I have always admired him for the reasons I listed above and hope to be a little more like him.
From my friends:
She reminds me how to love well.
Her loyalty to people over moral/political/societal positions is something I aspire to achieve.
Her creativity without fear inspires me to do more and worry less.
From my in-laws:
I hope that I can love and accept new family members like they have loved and accepted me.
His actions for family speak volumes about his love for those people.  I hope my actions speak that much.
They share everything they have with anyone who needs it.  I pray that I share that well.
He makes me a better person every day that I have known him.  I am so blessed to be his wife.


I think you understand a little about what is important to me in these tidbits.  I want to love people and serve people well.  I know I mess that up a lot.  I know I am judgmental before I am understanding.  I am that way with myself.  I have struggled with this for a long time.  I'm starting to find success in loving myself.  I am that way with my family.  Through this series, I began to get a more accurate picture of them and consequently a more accurate picture of me.  I had intended to write a very different post by the time I got here.  I had intended to open up and talk about some of my personal demons, but somehow those ideas and those words didn't fit here.  These people I have discussed have given me something and I don't want to tarnish that by talking about my personal issues.  We are more than just individuals.  We are a part of a group, a part of a family.  We are a part of our biological family and that has given us certain things, both good and bad.  We are also a part of a Church family that has given us certain things, both good and bad.  Our biological family requires certain things of us and so does our Church family.  Through this series, I have learned something about my personal requirements.  


Thank you for taking this journey with me.  What lessons has your family taught you?  What lessons has the Church taught you?

No comments:

Post a Comment