Thursday, April 12, 2012

Live 58: Plant with Purpose

Last month, I talked about the importance of water with 58: Fast. Forward. The End of Poverty!  This month in their world tour, they are in the Dominican Republic with a company called Plant with Purpose.  I have to admit  when I heard about the company and the issue of deforestation I was confused.  I hadn't heard anything about this.  How did I not know about this?  I like to think I keep up with issues facing those in extreme poverty and this was the Dominican Republic.  I'm a Spanish teacher, so I should know about issues facing these countries. Right?  Umm...no.

I remember hearing about deforestation when I was kid.  I remember Arbor Day and getting a tree to plant on that day.  I also thought about Captain Planet.  I've heard about how the air isn't as clean when we take trees away.  I have also heard about erosion when trees are taken away.  However, none of that really sunk in.  I never really understood exactly what effect deforestation has on people until I saw this video.



I had no idea the effect that trees could have on poverty in the world today.  I am stunned that as a relatively educated person I have been in the dark about this issue for so long.  I see numerous trees on my street every day and I don't ever think about the blessing they are.  There are numerous trees in our yard and all of them need trimming, so I often don't think of them as a blessing.  I am thankful for 58: Global Impact Tour for informing me about this need and this company.  I am excited to be now following them on Twitter and to be following their blog.  I am going to be reading through all that and I'm going to be donating to this cause.

Seriously, for a few dollars I can plant a few trees and make a difference!  I'm stoked about this.  Are you?  Because you should be.  Go to the 58: Global Impact Tour website or the Plant with Purpose website and donate.  Then follow them on Twitter and follow their blog.  Post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr, Pinterest, or whatever other site you use about them.  Tell the people you work with, tell the people you go to church with, tell your family, tell your friends, tell the people you see on the street or in the grocery store or at a gas station or wherever you are.  Tell people about this!  It is important and we CAN make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment