Thursday, March 15, 2012

Live 58: Living Water

Today I am participating in the 58: Fast. Forward. The End of Poverty! Blog Squad.  The organization is a global initiative to end extreme poverty by living out Isaiah 58.  As a part of that they have asked for some people to blog about what they are doing.  I may not always be able to donate money of do big fancy events, but I have a voice and I can lend that to help them.  Every month they call for a global fast for a cause.  (I haven't done this yet because 1. I suck and 2. Fasting and I are still are in a bit of a feud at the moment.)  This month's fast, fundraiser, prayer issue, etc. is clean water for Haiti


When thinking about clean water a few things come to mind.  So I'm going to share those.


1.  Guilt- How do I teach Ben about this?  I feel so guilty when he turns on the bathroom sink to play or "wash his hands".  I want to drink more water to be healthy and then I feel guilty.  I take a shower and relax for a minute and then feel guilty.
2.  Doing- There is so much I can do that others can't do because of water.  I can wash my hands after I use the restroom.  I can flush the toilet in said restroom.  I can get a glass of water.  I can make a pot of coffee.  I can water the plants in my garden.  I can have a water fight with my family.  I can fill up the kiddie pool and let Ben play.  I can take a bath or a shower.  Everyone else in my house can take a bath or a shower every day or even twice a day.  The list goes on and on.
3.  Cleaning- It cleans my body.  It cleans my hair.  It cleans my hands.  It cleans my food.  It cleans me inside by keeping me healthy and flushing out waste.  It cleans my clothes.  All of this cleaning keeps me healthy.
4.  Time- It only takes me seconds to get water.  I can even control the flow of water from my sink or my shower or my bathtub.  I can change the temperature with just the slightest hand movements.

All of that stuff is not something that so many other people in the world have.  Most of those things they can't do.  They can't be clean because the water isn't clean.  It takes them hours sometimes to get dirty, polluted water.  Guilt?  Maybe they struggle with that because they got an extra bucket of water today that their neighbors didn't get.  And maybe they are still too worried about getting enough water of their own for cleaning, cooking, bathing, etc.  I have no clue.  So what do we do about all of this information?  Jesus had a few ideas.

Matthew 10:42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”
Mark 9:41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

James had something to say too.


James 2:14-26 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
   But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”
   Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Both James and Jesus say the same thing.  DO SOMETHING!  What do we do?  SOMETHING!  Give some money to an organization like Living Water or 58: Fast. Forward. The End of Poverty or the numerous other organizations that help get clean water to places.  Use your voice!  Use your social media connections or your blog or your email contacts to tell people about these companies.  Volunteer your time and talents to help these organizations and others further their work.  Ask God to show you how to get involved because he will show you.  Do something because clean water shouldn't be a luxury item.

No comments:

Post a Comment