Saturday, March 3, 2012

Good Stuff Saturday 3-3


Amazing photos at these first 3.  Go there are marvel at them.
DRGT: Just Wondering - Quiet Space

Pictures of Poverty - Give someone you love a squeeze today.

Pictures of Poverty - Seriously?  You need to take another picture?

Great articles I was directed to:
NPR - Dining after Downtown Abbey: Why British food was so bad for so long  Cooks and their assistants, he says, were often highly skilled at very advanced cuisines. Take, for example, the "fancy ices" that were all the rage at the end of the 19th century. Ambitious cooks would use specialized copper and pewter molds to create elaborate ice cream delicacies in the shapes of swans, doves, evenasparagus — all without the benefit of modern refrigeration.

Crack you whip - Blood Chocolate  Child labor (slavery) bothers me a lot.  I'm not sure if it bothers me too much or not enough.  I know it bothers us all, but I feel this stabbing need to be a part of the solution instead of the problem.  I have never been good with solving things, which is why it is such a difficult conundrum.

And some great stuff from my normal reads:


Boo: Compelled to Love - Why you can't write when you compare   Then I came home and with a generous gift from someone saw myself sitting in conference for Christian woman bloggers. And I left feeling so depressed and like I had no place. I didn’t blog to make money. I didn’t blog for someone promoting them. I wasn’t married. I wasn’t a mom. I didn’t homeschool. I didn’t belong there. It felt like everyone was having a party and I was just a spectator to ‘the real world.’


The Handwritten - Priorities  Matthew 10:26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

Compassion - What do popsicles, brooms, and coconut oil have in common?  Iresha, manager of the Child Survival Program in Inigodawela, conducted a few sessions on making brooms and carpets, and encouraged mothers to find out what they like and are able to do. Vasantha took on this challenge and she received a few raw materials to help her to start making brooms.
Yet again, Vasantha didn’t stop there. She got in touch with a local organization that publishes books on self-employment opportunities.


Courtesy of Compassion International: http://blog.compassion.com/income-generating-projects-what-do-popsicles-brooms-and-coconut-oil-have-in-common/#ixzz1nzuzxQv7


World Vision - An Open Letter to the Presidential Candidates Today, hundreds of thousands of people in Africa and around the world are alive because of America’s historic commitment to fight HIV and AIDS. This is just one among countless examples of how the United States can be a force for good in the world.

Top of the Page- Grace on a Thursday: Roots that touch everything else   I heard a definition on the radio that got me. It was merely a snippet. But I heard the speaker say, "Shame is the fear of being unlovable." 

The Rantings of a Dad - Language Barrier  You'd think I'd stabbed Elmo. She began to cry and push the cup away. This was frustrating me now, as much as it was her. I offered her juice. No dice. Offered her water and got a resounding "uh uh!" and more shrieks and weeps. 

True Beggars - Bend Me   If sinners created a social club or organization, that would be a perfect mantra for advertisement. Think about it...Sinners: Doing What We Want Since 6000 B.C. Or Want It. Do It. Sinners.

I'd laugh...but all this happened to me! - Friday Flashback: One weird night in Atlanta  They explained to me that their toilet was clogged.  I said I would come take a look at it.  They were giggling as we walked over, so I knew something was not quite right. They led me to the toilet, watching me carefully for my reaction.  

No comments:

Post a Comment