Saturday, March 17, 2012

Good Stuff Saturday 3-17



Missionaries and Pastors:
Katie Hawkins: Missionary to Albania - On track with God   You know you are on track with God when you are as excited as you are scared.  


The Jacksons' Journey - Prayer Requests for our time in Africa  I've had several people tell us they'd be praying for us while we're in Africa, and some ask how they could specifically pray while we're gone. Here are a few of our requests, if you would like to lift them up for us while we are overseas!


True Beggars - Deeds from Creeds  We must do and teach the kind of behavior that goes with sound doctrine. 


True Beggars- Fighting Boredom  This Sunday, when the temptation comes to let the mind wander into thoughts of lunch, doodles on the church bulletin, or your neighbor's taste in clothes, bring back into focus the greatness of God. 


I'd Laugh....But This All Happened to Me - Where Everybody Knows your Name One of the recurring gags on the show was when the overweight, down-on-his-luck accountant Norm would walk into the bar, everyone present would yell "Norm!"  It was in recognition of his importance to them, and of the theme of the show- everyone likes to go to a place where everybody knows their name.  


Really awesome 'regular' people blogs:
The Esau Project - My Jagged Edges There are a few pieces missing.  Some of the parts don’t really look right together.  And some of the edges are jagged.  But it still stands.

Grit and Glory - Disappointed in Jesus  I think we all, at some point in our faith journey, grow disappointed in Jesus.
Of course we don’t call it that.
But if we were being most honest, we would.

What Kind of Mother Are You? - "Except ye repent": A Poem   Christ forgive us!

We paste the label of Your Name

On deeds and attitudesWhose like You bitterly condemned,Paying for Your fearlessness
Upon a cross of wood.


The Rantings of a Dad - Limitations Lately, I find myself wondering what the future holds for me. Not "me" as in "me and my family," but myself. The solo act, not the group. Plenty of opportunities are now spread out before me. 

The Arizona Russums - Flowers Fade Friday: Lessons Learned on a Tandem Bicycle  But let me tell you, this ended up being my favorite bike ride ever, because I learned a few things along the way. As I got used to riding behind Micah and following his lead on the pedals, I realized that riding a tandem bicycle is the perfect analogy of how a marriage works.



Great Companies:


World Vision - Dealing with First World Problems  I suppose it’s important to remember that “humanitarians” are indeed “humans,” too. We get preoccupied by what’s in front of us.  
So, here’s what I do: Sitting in plain sight at my desk is a picture of my sponsored child, Joventus.


Compassion - Living in Guatemala: A day in the life of Melissa   Melissa is part of a little-known people who live atop the Cuchamatanes Mountains in western Guatemala and remain largely isolated from the rest of the world.
Her town of San Juan Cotzal has 24,000 residents. Summers are cool and winters are freezing.
Melissa and her family belong to the Mayan group Ixils. Ixils live in three villages that make up the poverty-stricken Ixil Triangle.

Courtesy of Compassion International: http://blog.compassion.com/living-in-guatemala-a-day-in-the-life-of-melissa/#ixzz1pLJCtFAx

Other Christian blogs to make you think:
New Ways Theology - Religion for atheists and the myth of secularism  - From the well practiced liturgy of the mall, to the national and military imagery with which we baptize our holidays and sporting events, or the communal worship experience of a rock concert, the secular world may not openly identify allegiance with a particular god but it is incredibly religious.

Stuff Christians Like - Do we really love people who aren't Christian?  “I think my dream is to get Christians to love non-Christians.”
My first thought was, “That’s kind of silly. I’m great at that. That’s not a dream. We already do love non-Christians!” But then my dad continued to share his idea.
Stuff Christians Like - Crossroads - Being the CCM superfan that I am, I’ve developed a version of Crossroads that would pair a Christian artist with a secular artist. I think it’d be irresponsible to call it something other than CROSSroads. I’ve penned up a list of potential episodes for the first season of CROSSroads and here they are…

Jon Acuff - How to take a Compliment  All these years I thought I was being humble, when actually I’ve just been throwing a gift back into your face.
You gave me a compliment. I refused to receive it.



AND this video.  If you check out nothing else, you HAVE to watch this video!

Propaganda Solo: Sacrifice What Describes You from World Vision ACT:S on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment