Monday, March 5, 2012

Finding My Story: The Girls

Family Group  Photo Credit: anyjazz65

I have already written about my parentsmy grandparentsmy great-grandparentssome other family members, and the younger ones.  Today I am going to talk about some of my very best friends.  I have known these girls for 15 years, except for K.  I've known her for almost 20 years.  I would not have made it through high school without their love and acceptance of my goody-two-shoes-don't-want-to-mess-up-self.  Although we now live many miles apart and in 4 different states, we email each other regularly.  Sometimes they are serious emails asking for prayer or advice.  Sometimes they are silly emails like those surveys of which we've all seen hundreds.  We try to get together once a year.  It's getting harder as schedules get busier, but the amazing thing about these girls is that we don't have to get together to enjoy each others company.  Emails, Facebook, and an occasional card are more than enough to keep us connected.

I have known K the longest of these three girls.  We met when I was in 6th grade and she was in 5th grade through a mutual friend.  We have weathered many storms together and by that I mean she put up with a bunch of my overdramatic crap.  She lived just a couple blocks from me growing up and there many weekends we were spending the night at one another's house.  We played with Barbie's probably longer than we want to admit.  We used to jump off her garage roof thinking no one noticed us.  More than all of that the thing about her that sticks with me most is that she is my creative writing ally.  When I felt silly for writing and didn't want to tell anyone, she was there writing along with me.  She is much more prolific than I am.  She finishes the stories she begins.  She creates great dialogue and characters that feel like your friends.  Her plots are interesting and follow a natural trajectory.  I have always envied her ability to write so well and to finish what she starts.  Today she is the one who holds us all together.  She keeps track of our schedules and emails us when we have gone too long between discussions.  She plays hostess when we all come back into town.  She was the first to get married and the first to have children.  We looked to her for guidance through those stressful situations.  She pretty much the mother hen for us all.  She reminds me how to love well.

K introduced me to AC when they were freshman and I was a sophomore.  From the first day I met AC, she impressed me with her knowledge of pop culture and style.  She always made sure we were listening to the latest music.  If we wanted style advice, she was the girl we would see.  In a totally platonic way, she has amazing legs.  I've always been jealous of those.  She was probably the most boy crazy among us or maybe just the most vocal.  She was the one who hosted the sleep overs for all 4 of us or sometimes 5.  Her house was always comfortable and homey.  She is the sensitive soul among us and has never had a problem sharing that.  She tells us what she thinks and why, which normally has to do with sticking up for people she knows.  That may not make sense, but if you knew her you would agree.  She is a  fiercely sensitive soul.  She sticks beside her friends even when it is hard and even if it inconvenient for herself.  Her loyalty to people over moral/political/societal positions is something I aspire to achieve.


K also introduced me to AD at the same time I was introduced to AC.  My earliest memories of AD are of her love for Disney and art.  I remember being amazed at the computer games she had.  I'm pretty sure I saw my first computer game to be used with a mouse at her house.  I also saw my first Disney cell at her house.  I remember their US history video project that I helped them with at her house.  We stayed up basically all night at one sleep over to tape their news story show about working conditions in the 1920's.  We created the commercials, like The Throwing Shoes Dance Video, Pull Billy, and The Amanda Servant.  We taped a secret video inside a factory.  We taped interviews with some women of the night, a factory owner, and a union head.  We taped a protest as well.  That was one of the most fun school projects I ever worked on and it wasn't even mine.  AD was always up for whatever crazy idea we had and she probably suggested most of them.  She never worried about what other people thought or said.  She was her and that was good enough.  Today she is an amazingly creative mother who always has the coolest projects to do with her son.  She writes computer program stuff and goes to Disney regularly.  Some things never change!  Her creativity without fear inspires me to do more and worry less.

We all have friends, but who has made the biggest impact on you?  How?  Tell me some of your story.

2 comments:

  1. Love this Andrea! You are such an inspiration to me in so many ways. I love how you are yourself no matter what. And you're a better writer than you give yourself credit for! Love your blog! :)
    Love, Kort

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete