Saturday, February 4, 2012

Good stuff Saturday 2-4


Pictures of Poverty - Nap time in Indonesia

Jon Acuff - The one thing about Siri that scares me  But now, with Siri, I can respond to text messages. I can take care of business. I can get ahead. I can fill that time with multiple things.
And that’s what I’m ultimately afraid of.
If you fill every minute of your life, eventually you’ll get empty.

Compassion - From Voodoo Temple to Child Development Center  Just a few months after Pastor Monas began his ministry in that area, Sore, the Voodoo priest, gave his life to Jesus. Many of his followers also turned over their lives to Christ. Before he passed away, Sore dedicated the property to the Lord for the local church and different ministries, including the school.

Courtesy of Compassion International: http://blog.compassion.com/education-in-haiti-from-voodoo-temple-to-child-development-center/#ixzz1lKUEphKE

Compassion - Love and the Fiber Mat  Standing at the door, I was nervous and stranded. I heard a low voice from inside the class inviting me to come and sit. One of the children had offered to sit with me on his mat. We sat cross-legged, part of our legs hanging off on the dusty floor.

Courtesy of Compassion International: http://blog.compassion.com/love-and-the-fiber-mat/#ixzz1lKUQiNAT

New Ways Forward - Science, Faith, and Irony  In a way, fundamentalist Christianity (at least of the AIG stripe) and fundamentalist atheism (Hitchens, Dawkins) are making essentially the same argument


Shawn Smucker - In Which I call out myself and my hometown  Yet a dangerous outcome awaits the individual or community who pursues this insider status for its own sake. We can easily become rather enamored with the way that others accept and love us. How quickly we forget how it felt to be on the outside, to be the one at the party with no one to talk to! How rapidly we erase the memory of that awkward vulnerability!

Given - GIVEN is an apparel line developed to help overcome global poverty and injustice with unconditional love and service.  Are you GIVEN to serve?  30% of your purchase price will be donated to World Vision to provide emergency assistance to children and families, develop long -term solutions to alleviate poverty, and advocate for justice on behalf of the poor.


Oh my Gosh!  I know why this is nominated for an Oscar.  Because it is AMAZING!

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore from Moonbot Studios on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment