Thursday, December 8, 2011

Too good for that?

Tonight I realized that I am a bit of a food snob.  I realize this might be a shocking confession given the amount of time I donate to food on my blogs.  When someone talks about food as much as I do, then it is only logical to think that said person would eat just about anything.  Although logical, it is not so.  I have been a food snob. How did I come to this realization?  I'm glad you asked.

Over the last week or so, we have made a concerted effort to spend less money on food.  We have still eaten plenty and eaten pretty well, but we haven't had meat every night and it hasn't been a big recipe type cooking.  Tonight we were running a little late, so we grabbed a Hamburger Helper.  While we were deciding which one to get, I realized that until a week or so ago, I had grown to think I was too good for that.  I'm not sure how it happened and I don't think it was even a conscious thought, but it was a thought none the less.  Somewhere between the first few years of our marriage and now, I had begun to think we were too good to eat certain kinds of food.  And that is really irresponsible and a whole host of other words that aren't coming to me now because it is late.  There are people starving in the world and I think I'm too good for some food in our grocery stores.

Then I got to thinking, are our churches that way?  Do our churches think we are too good for certain ministries and outreach opportunities?  I think we do.  We are too big or too small or too hip or too traditional or too something to go and do.  Humans need food to function properly and churches need serving to function properly.  If we aren't serving, then we aren't working properly.  What gave me the right to think I was too good to eat some food from that box?  By the same token what gave our churches the right to think they were too good to go serve those people over there?

Even as I say that you are picturing someone in your head.  That is the type of person you don't want to serve.  How do I know this?  Because there was someone in my head.  Yes there are people that make me uncomfortable and I would rather not serve them.  However if/when God calls me there, I must go.  If I don't, then I won't work properly.  If you don't go when He calls you, then you won't work properly.  The same goes for our churches.

The question now is:  How do we get our churches to go there and serve those people?

2 comments:

  1. Love it...and I love Hamburger Helper too, stronganoff!! Everywhere I go lately, I am faced with the woman at the well...I think God is telling me that I'm not reaching out to ALL God's people either...maybe just the convenient ones. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The woman at the well. I hadn't thought about her. That gives me more to think about.

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete