Thursday, January 5, 2012

One word 2012: Faithful

I have been pretty excited to write this post for several weeks now.  I could have written it earlier, but the timing just didn't seem right.  Today feels like the day to announce my One Word for 2012.  As I was thinking about wrapping up my One Word for 2011, my thoughts were a big jumble.  As I sorted through various notes and thoughts my One Word for 2012 became obvious.  As you can see in the title, my word is Faithful.  To me there are a few things bound up in faithful.

1.  I want to be faithful to my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.  I want to judge them less and trust them more. I want to believe more in who God is making them and less in who I think they should be.  I can often be a judgmental person.  (If you are new here, you might go back and read the link I provided.)  More than once God has shown me that my way of thinking is not the right way and that I have totally missed who this person is.  How can I possibly know who they are and what they are doing?  It is not my place and I want to remind myself of that.  Less judgment, more love.


2.  I want to be faithful to the walk that God is calling me too.  I don't know the ultimate destination, but I need to trust him to lead me where I need to be.  Habakkuk 2:4 says, "but the righteous person will live by his faithfulness".  To be righteous is to be right with God.  So for a person to be right with God, he or she will live by faithfulness.  Faithfulness is being loyal or reliable.  So a person right with God will live by their loyalty and reliability.  It isn't what we say or what we do that makes us right and helps us live.   We are made right and really live when are loyal to God and reliable to him.  When we devote ourselves to him, we can live rightly.  So I want to live that way.  I want to be faithful to God and what he has called me to do.  I want to put myself out of the way.  I want to put my desires out of the way for him.  Sometimes we mare it more about the rules than about the Spirit.  Serious Wednesday over at Stuff Christians Like really spoke to my heart about that.  Less rules, more Spirit.  

3.  I want to be a faithful steward with what I have.  We have been tightening up our financial belts and hope to pay off or way down some big debt we have.  I have talked about my lack of self-discipline around the house.  I want to be more faithful with my chores around the house.  I want to be better about what I eat and how much.  I'm not going on a diet or anything.  I want to be more responsible; more water, less sugar, less caffeine, less food overall.  I want to be a faithful steward with what God has given me.  God has given me these things and I want to do the right thing with them.

What I hope to accomplish from all this is like Hebrews 11:13 says, "They only saw them and welcomed them from a distance."  Later on  in verse 22, it talks about Joseph speaking of the exodus which was 300 years away.  I want to see things from a distance and welcome them.  If I grow in faithfulness, then I think welcoming it from a distance will be natural.  So bring on 2012 a faithful year.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. But hey! Let's not get carried away on #3. Less caffeine? I received a new espresso maker for Christmas, so...I'm not on board with that "less caffeine" thing yet. And thanks for the thought provoking comments on my "Dear Abby" post. Again, points to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven has been a frequent topic to ponder for me recently. It's always good to hear what others think about it.

    You are a man. Caffeine is okay for you. If we want to have another kid, I gotta cut out caffeine. So since I'm a woman caffeine is bad. You are a man so it is okay. Go enjoy your espresso. :)

    ReplyDelete