Friday, December 16, 2011

My 10 favorite Christmas traditions

I must confess that I have been a bit of a Scrooge this year.  I have been asked at least twice about my favorite Christmas tradition.  Both times I said my least favorite, the trip from NC to IL and back.  Out of everything about Christmas, I come up with what I don't like.  How Scrooge-y is that?  So today I will be doing a top 10 Christmas traditions.  If you really like lists of 10 things, you should check out Julie @ The Esau Project.  Every Friday she has a new one.  Anyway, on with my list.  I'm going from 10 to 1 because these are in order of my favorite.

10.  Christmas lunch at Grandma and Grandpa Farmer's house.  When I was little we would eat lunch with the extended family, my family and my Great-Uncle's family.  I didn't seem them often throughout the year, so it was special to see them all together.
9.  Secret Santa at work.  I love getting little gifts and giving little gifts.  So much fun!
8.  The essential Christmas decorations at my parents' house.  A mechanical Rudolph toy, porcelain bells in the shape of teddy bears, and the stockings.  It's good to see some things never change.
7.  Christmas music!  I like just about any kind of Christmas music and I like hearing it early!
6.  The angel at the top of the tree at my parents house.  I don't think it is there anymore because she was getting pretty old.  When we were kids, my brother and I would fight over who got put the angel on top.  Well actually we would fight over who Dad got lift up to put the angel on top.  Eventually my parents started writing it down on the box.  So we knew who did it last year.
5.  Grandma Glenda's fudge, her 7 "12 Days of Christmas" ornaments, and her full round Christmas tree that I used to think was real because it looked so nice.  I now know there is a smell associated with the real trees, but I didn't then.
4.  Grandma Ann's Rainbow Brite wrapping paper, her sparse fake tree, and wrapping paper fights with the family when we were done.
3.  Christmas movies with Drew, specifically Elf, Home Alone and Christmas with the Cranks.  We haven't had a chance to watch any so far this year.  That will change this weekend!
2. Reading the Christmas story from the Bible on Christmas morning.  I have wanted to do that for a long while, so it was one of the first traditions I started with my little family.  We'll see how Ben does with it this year.
And finally, my FAVORITE Christmas tradition.....

1. Taking turns opening presents on Christmas morning.  Ever since I can remember we have opened one present at a time on Christmas morning.  I love it!!  Each person gets their time on stage with their present so to speak and those giving the present get the chance to see how it is received.  My husband thinks it is pretty weird, but I love it, so this is the tradition that I have continued.


What are your favorite Christmas traditions?  

Now that we have one top 10 out of the way, let me tell you about the next top 10.  For the next two weeks you will be getting a top 10 of the most popular posts of the year as chosen by YOU the reader.  The posts will come from this blog and You, Me, and Jesus.  They will be posted on the regular days that I post.  I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and that you enjoy this year end review.

No comments:

Post a Comment