Friday, December 9, 2011

Lessons from baseball

I tried to avoid writing about this, but I couldn't think of anything else to write.  I couldn't think of anything else to write because I can't think of anything else.  There was a tragic shooting on the campus of Virginia Tech and Mythbusters shot a cannonball through someone's house.  These are big news items, but all I can think about is baseball.  I know, I know!  This is ridiculous, but such a person am I.  So let me get this out and then we can go back to the important stuff.

Yesterday after much speculation and debate Albert Pujols signed up with the Angels for $250 million for 10 years.  You may not know, but I'm a Cardinals fan.  I was a little disappointed.  I may be biased, but I think St. Louis is the best baseball city in the world.  Since I'm biased I'll say that it is one of the best in the world,  most definitely top 5.  And the Cardinals are one of the most historic franchises in the world.  Once again top 5.  The people know their baseball and appreciate hard work over production.  These are things you don't get very often in a city.  I doubt Angels fans have these claims.  So with all of the goodness in St. Louis and the possibility to be a legend forever, how do you walk away?  (Yes I mean forever, Stan Musial and Lou Brock still come around and people still mob them like superstars.) $40 million is a lot of money, but not when you are over the $200 mark.  I see the AL had the DH argument.  I get that, but why not in St. Louis for 6 or 8 and then 2 or 4 years of the AL.  Or how about not playing until 42 and retire a Cardinal.  Be a legend and a superstar forever?


I'm not worried about our season.  I trust the front office to get quality players that we need.  I think we will contend.  It isn't the team I'm thinking about.  I'm disappointed that yet another athlete has gone after money before love of the game.  Another athlete picked temporary pleasures over the lasting name of a legend.  I'm disappointed as a Cardinals fan, as a sports fan, and as a person.  A part of me is saying, "Then you are lifting one person up too high on a pedestal.  You are expecting too much out of a mere human.  Aren't there times that you do the exact same thing?"  My answer to that is Yes.  There are times I do the same thing and I shouldn't be so disappointed.  I'm working on it, but sometimes you just expect more out of people.  I guess the lesson to take from this is for me to be who I expect other to be.


What do you think about all this?  Opinions on Pujols' decision?  Opinions on my reaction to it?

2 comments:

  1. Andrea you know where I stand on this issue, so it actually might shock you to hear I should have seen it coming. I agree he passed up the opportunity to be of legendary status in a town that cherishes its heroes on the field as much if not more than any other team (including the Yankees) but Cardinal nation will live on. I truthfully thought he would sign with us but he didn't. Imagine the disappointment of having to receive his ring not in the glory of opening day in St. Louis with Brock, Gibson, (possibly Musial), Red, Ozzie, and the other greats of Cardinal lore. Instead he will enjoy the likes of Tim Salmon, Wally Joyner and, and, and possibly Danny Glover (didn't he manage them once) oh no that was in a movie.
    I wish him well because I do think he deserves that and I do hope he breaks Bonds record for home runs and enters the hall of fame. I do hope however if the Cards and Angels meet in the Series that Waino breaks off a curve ball to strike him out for the final out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think about opening day. That would suck to get one with another team.
    Like you I do wish him well and hope he breaks the record. Stiking him out would be pretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete