Thursday, December 1, 2011

God is Good!

This isn't the post I intended to write today, but here I am.  (If you're lucky, you'll get three posts this week.  Cross your fingers).  It's also a little late, so I might ramble a little.  Sorry.

At the beginning of every year we have to sign up for gate duties, jobs that need to be done for the athletics.  I have taken money for most of the sports we have at the middle school, but I have avoided all other jobs like the plague.  I never wanted to call lines at the volleyball game or move the chains at the football game or run the clock at the basketball game.  Well the other jobs were spoken for and so it was either the clock or the chains. Not wanting to stand and move up and down outside, I went for basketball.  Tonight was the night and I was TERRIFIED!!  I'm rather sports saavy, so I didn't expect too many problems.  I know the general rules of basketball, so I should be good.  Then I actually got there.  The clock was super easy to actually operate, but that didn't really help.  There was still the human element of it.  The score, the clock, and the quarters were all easy, but then it came to the horn.  I was totally lost on this one.  I didn't know what to do with it.  The girls coach told me after timeouts and before the quarters.  The referees told me their signals for stopping the clock and starting it.  I was feeling pretty okay.  I even announced the starting lineups.  I was prepared, until the game started.

I only messed the score up 4 times, but I knew as soon as I did it.  That's good right?  I think I only messed the time up 3 times.  Most of this was in the boys game, which was second.  I got to test the waters so to speak with the girls game.  The time was pretty okay.  No one had to tell me when to turn it on or off.  I did mess the score up once or twice, but I fixed it pretty quickly.  It was tempting to watch the girls game, but I stayed strong.  I didn't watch it and I did my job.  The referees gave me notes as the girls game went along.  So I was slowly being eased into the process.  Then came the boys game and everything changed.  I started watching it and I messed the clock up by like 5 seconds twice in the first quarter, or maybe half.  Anyway it was bad, the ref even politely came to tell me it was bad.  I had to literally tell myself to not watch the game and pay attention to the refs.  In the end, people thanked me and I didn't mess up the whole game.  So I guess it wasn't too bad. I have to do it 2 more times, so I guess I'll be getting better at it.

What does this all have to do with God?  I am stunned by the little things he did to help me out.  For instance, several of the first free throws were miss and then made.  That helped me because I didn't have to worry about when to start the clock on a rebound.  The coaches of the other team were super nice and never said a word about my mess ups. (Of course, our coaches didn't either.)  The games were not that close, so when I did mess up it didn't make a difference.  The girls generally score less, so I got the chance to get better with the clock before I worried about doing the score and clock together.  It may not seem like a big deal to you all, but it meant so much to me.  In that moment when I was worried over something rather minor, the creator of the universe took time to make me feel better.  He set things up in the games in such a way that I could get comfortable with this new experience.  Wow, God loves me that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment