Friday, December 23, 2011

#7 Phonaphobia September 15

Starting a new school year brings lots of thoughts and challenges.  This was one for me and I guess people liked reading it because it is number 7 on our list.
#8

At the beginning of the school year, we got a new principal.  That is always scary.  You know, new person, new ideas, new ways.  Things like turning in lesson plans, ugh!  Turning in a pacing guide, double ugh.  A new schedule and some new duties, when is it going to stop!  Oh and then he said the worst thing of all.  Positive parent phone calls!  It was too much, so I just focused all my energy into everything else, the lesson plans, pacing guide, kinks in the new schedule, and learning new duties.  A couple weeks in and I feel like a pro.  Then I look down at my parent call list. Names and numbers are there followed by empty boxes.  The boxes are staring me down and forcing me to run away.  I just can't do it!  It isn't the parent part that bothers me.  It is the phone call part.  An email or a letter I can handle, but he asked for a voice to be heard.  So I must use the phone.

Maybe this phonaphobia doesn't make sense to you.  In which case you are probably one of those amazing polite small talk people.  I am not.  I am the worst ever!  Ordering pizza is something I have to psyche myself up for.  Mostly Drew does that because I just don't like the phone.  Yesterday, I called 3 people before it occurred to me to end the conversation with have a nice day.  Yes 3!    It just doesn't come natural to me.  I think that is the main reason why I don't like calling on the phone.  Ben will tell you.  My cell rings and he says, "DeeDee"because my mom is the only person I talk to on the phone.

Tuesday night I started psyching myself up for the task.  I continued to work up to it on yesterday.  During planning, I sat down to read the Bible and God started prodding me also.  So I sucked it up and made the calls.  Well, a couple.  The first one was horrible!  I stumbled over my words and forgot to properly introduce myself.   And of course it ended with an awkward goodbye.  The second and third got better.  By number 4, I was remembering have a nice day.  Then the phone didn't want to work.  I was able to squeeze 2 more calls out of it.  (One of which was an awesome conversation.) But I still have like 10 more!

This can't be happening.  I was prepared to do this yesterday, but it didn't work out.  So I'll have psyche myself up again, have one horrible conversation, and several good ones.  So this morning I have started with biscuits and gravy and some AMAZING Honduran coffee.  I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can

Have you faced a fear lately?  How did it go?  If not, is there a fear you should be facing?

No comments:

Post a Comment