Wednesday, October 19, 2011

No color? No problem!

Black and white movies are more enjoyable than color movies.  Canonical literature is more compelling than modern novels.  (Like Wuthering Heights.)  Poetry is more heart pounding than a music video.  (Like Langston Hughes.)  Buster Keaton and Lucille Ball are more funny than Adam Sandler and Amy Poehler.  The History Channel is better than Comedy Central.  Classic radio programs are more entertaining than music on the radio.  (Like Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar, The Shadow, and Gunsmoke) 


Most days I am okay knowing these opinions set me apart.  I feel it sets me apart in a good way.  I feel like that makes me a guardian of some kind.  There is rich history of amazing art done by those who have come before us.  Much of society as a whole rejects these people and accomplishments before.  I am not saying that what is out now is bad or unworthy.  I just don't enjoy it as much.  I like knowing that I enjoy those things and I can share them with others.  Like I am sharing with you today.  So enjoy!




6 comments:

  1. i am so sorry but i honestly could never really get into these types of shows or movies, i tried to watch that old kinda movie/show called the munsters? something about these creepy people and some kind of Frankenstein dad and well i just didn't get into them, maybe its because of the lack of knowledge and appreciation i and the rest of my generation knows of it. and the whole poetry and modern day stuff, i just can not grasp or understand half of the poetry out there, yes i can agree and say that if i read a piece of poetry and i can understand it, it doesn't have indeed much more meaning then a normal music video or common stuff nowadays, so in partial, i agree and disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched The Munster's and they were okay. Not my favorite. My favorite is I love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show. Others love The Andy Griffith Show or Leave it to Beaver or My 3 Sons or something.

    But to each his own! At least you tried to get into them. I think it takes the right show and the right poet to introduce you to the whole thing. If you find the right one, then you might be more interested than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to have an obsession with I love Lucy for a few months. i think i watched every episode, but its so much better than a lot of the shows they have today! and i really like poetry. we had a good few weeks where we read poetry from all different authors and i loved it. My friend and I would sit there and be like i think it means this and we'd bet on who got it right (or closer, we never got it right) but i thought that was no funa dn it soudned so pretty. i can't say i like classical radio though, i just can't get into that. -kayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. By classic radio I mean TV shows on the radio. Not classical music. I like that too, but not in the car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the awesome things about poetry is that you don't have to understand it to enjoy it. Just listening to someone read it is exciting. I think so anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont really like black and white shows and i never really could get into them much. But one day my grandma was watching i love lucy and i sat down and started watching it i didnt like it at first but then i just kept watching and i actually got into it thats about the only one i liked but i do agree that those shows are probably better then what we have now.

    ReplyDelete